Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that is stored in our liver and fatty tissues. The best source to get this nutrient is the sun. Did you know that by sitting for a mere 10 minutes in sunlight, your body can absorb up to 10,000 units of Vitamin D? Due to the sun being a primary source of this vitamin, many office workers suffer from vitamin D deficiency. This is because they must stay inside from 9-5pm or 6 pm, and generally come out when the sun starts to set. Let us find out why vitamin D is important, and how you can boost your intake through natural remedies.
Why is Vitamin D Important?
Vitamin D can help your body in many ways. Some of the benefits it provides are as follows:
- It improves and maintains the health of your bones. This is because it helps your body absorb more calcium. Deficiency of vitamin D can cause weak bones and a condition known as rickets.
- It can help you to manage symptoms of diabetes. The London School of Medicine and Dentistry conducted a study that revealed that calcium is important for insulin secretion. As vitamin D helps the body to absorb calcium from food, it can help diabetes patients to manage their condition. Please note: Vitamin D does not cure diabetes. It is not a substitute for any diabetes medication that you must take.
- It can help to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer. Vitamin D deficiency is linked with breast, prostate and colon cancers.
- It can help decrease chances of heart problems. Studies show that vitamin D regulates blood pressure, inflammation, and cholesterol. When vitamin D signalling in the body is disrupted, it can lead to hypertensive BP, cardiac hypertrophy, and atherosclerosis.
- It helps with healthy replication of cells. Moreover, Vitamin D can help to prevent prolonged inflammation. It can also reduce the risk of many diseases that are linked with inflammation such as irritable bowel syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.
- It can help with improving mood and can regulate some hormone disorders. Lack of vitamin D can lead to depression, seasonal affective disorder (SAD), insomnia, anxiety, and even some premenstrual stress symptoms.
- It can also help improve focus.
Are There Any Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency?
No, there are no major symptoms of vitamin D deficiency. This is one of the reasons why this can be so dangerous – you may not even know you have this deficiency! Having said that, a few people can suffer from any of the following symptoms:
- Pain in the muscles
- Lack of concentration or focus
- Weakness in the muscles
Even though these symptoms may occur, many individuals do not link it with vitamin D. This is because as working professionals, we are all used to being tired, unfocussed, and having aching muscles when we get home from work. Only getting regular health check-ups can reveal this deficiency during a routine blood test. Thus, it is important to be on the safe side and boost your daily intake through natural means!
What Office Workers Can do to Improve Their Vitamin D Intake?
Now that you know how important vitamin D is, you probably want to improve your intake of the same! As the best source of vitamin D is the sun, you can ensure that certain work related activities can be conducted outside, so that you get more exposure to sunlight. Some of the things you can do to improve your Vitamin D intake naturally are:
- Schedule team meetings in an open space outside: Apart from helping you get more Vitamin D, these meetings can be more interesting just because of the change in the venue. It can help your employees be more alert and excited!
- Eat your lunch outside: The winter season is the perfect time to enjoy hot meals in the sun. Carry your tiffin to an open terrace or any space outside to enjoy yourself and soak up some vitamin D.
- Take your work calls outdoors: if you have a long call to make, take it outdoors. It will not only help you increase your vitamin D intake but will have the added benefit of light exercise if you walk around!
- Take a walk during office hours: Take walks outside in the sun whenever you need a small break from your work!
- Exercise outside before going to work: wake up a little early and enjoy a pleasant morning walk before going to the office. The sun will help you gain vitamin D while the walk will wake you up and make you feel more active.
- Enjoy team building sessions such as sports on the weekends in the sun!
How to Boost Your Vitamin D Intake Through Your Diet?
The recommended daily dosage is around 600 IU. Some of the best natural ways to boost vitamin D through your diet are as follows:
- Eat Salmon: Salmon fish contains high levels of Vitamin D. According to the US FDA, Food Composition Database, you can get approx. 361 – 685 IU of vitamin D from 100 grams serving!
- Eat Herring and Sardines: Small fish like herring and sardines contain high amounts of vitamin D. Herring can be eaten canned or pickled, or you can cook fresh herring as per any recipe. Sardines are available in cans and are great options for people who want a quick, nutritious snack that they do not have to cook. 100 grams of pickled herring has 680 UI of Vitamin D, while the same serving of sardines has 272 UI. Other fatty fish such as mackerel and Halibut can give you good amounts of this essential vitamin too!
- Add Cod Liver Oil to Your Diet: Many people do not like to eat fish. However, that does not mean they cannot boost their vitamin D input! Cod liver oil is a popular supplement that comes in liquid and tablet form. People can get 450 IU of vitamin D from one teaspoon.
- Eat Mushrooms: Did you know that mushrooms happen to be the only plants that can give you Vitamin D? Just like human beings, mushrooms also make this vitamin when they are exposed to the sun. A 100 gram serving of mushrooms can give you 2,300 IU of vitamin D!
- Drink Milk Fortified with Vitamin D: Milk is a very good source of Vitamin D as it is fortified with it. This is to help your body absorb the readily available calcium in milk! If you are a vegan, you can drink soy milk, as it is also fortified with vitamin D.
- Take FDA Approved Health Supplements: The easiest way for you to increase the amount of vitamin D you take is by taking health supplements. Vitamin D supplements can come in the form of tablets, pills, or even liquid. You can choose the right supplement based on your requirements after reading the label.
Some of the commonly available Vitamin D supplements are:
- Medlife Essentials Calcium Tablet (With Vitamin D3 and zinc)
- Zenith Nutrition Vitamin D3 Capsule
- Healthkart Vitamin D3 Capsule
- Now Foods Vitamin D3 Softgel
Health often becomes a lower priority for office workers who have a lot of deadlines and stress on their minds! Do not let this be the case with you. Taking care of your health can boost your performance in the workplace too, apart from helping your body and mind feel great. So, make sure that you are mindful of your diet and exercise. At Medlife Shop, we offer a range of supplements that can help you boost your Vitamin D intake. These supplements are sourced from the leading brands and are approved by medical authorities too. Download our app and order today!