Many people fall sick during the winter season. This is because we all love to stay indoors when the outside weather is cold. Thus, we breathe each other’s germs due to the proximity, and can fall sick easily. But, if you take care of what you eat, you can prevent yourself from becoming vulnerable to airborne infections such as cold and flu. Certain types of food can improve your immunity and keep you healthy during winters. To know what they are, keep reading ahead!
1Eat Red Bell Peppers:
In Indian cuisine, green bell peppers tend to be commonly used. However, you must seek out red bell peppers if you want to stay healthy during the winter. This is because red bell peppers contain high amounts of Vitamin C. As vitamin C is good for boosting the immunity, your body can fight off common cold and flu easily.
2Cook with Natural Oils, Desi Ghee and Butter:
Now, this already sounds delicious, but let us find out why these foods are good in the winter. According to Ayurveda, the digestive strength of your body is equated with fire or ‘agni’. It is believed that a large part of your immunity is boosted by digestive processes. While this ‘agni’ which is crucial, becomes lesser in the winter season, as we become lethargic. Eating natural oils, butter and desi ghee can help keep the digestive system functioning well. As a result, you can boost your immunity and prevent yourself from falling sick.
Turmeric is actually known for its multiple health benefits. However, since we are talking about winter-specific benefits, you should keep in mind that turmeric can help reduce inflammation and fight infections. It also prevents the damage that is caused by free radicals in the body.
4Eat Lots of Nuts:
Eating nuts like cashews and almonds can help you to boost immunity in the winter season. This is because they generate a lot of heat within the body. Pista, dates and walnuts are also good options.
5Drink Green Tea:
During the winter season, any excuse will work as long as we can hold a hot mug of tea or another soothing beverage. Drinking green tea can help you improve your body’s ability to fight against sickness. This is mainly because this beverage has anti-oxidant properties and helps to fight against free radicals in the system. It contains small amounts of caffeine too, which can help you beat the lethargy which you might feel in the cold weather season!
Fennel is a herb that is also rich in Vitamin C and various essential minerals such as Potassium, Copper, Calcium, Manganese, Zinc, Iron, Magnesium and Selenium. Eating this can help you to boost your immunity and reduces the chance of getting infection.
7Eat More Oysters:
Oysters can help you increase your vitamin C and vitamin E intake. Both can help you boost your immune system.
8Mix Yoghurt with Meals:
Yoghurt is a natural probiotic. This means that it contains good gut bacteria. Good gut bacteria are basically healthy species of bacteria that exist in your gastrointestinal tract and support normal digestive functions. They help your body ward off infections and diseases as their presence affects different body functions, including immunity.
9Eat Sweet Potatoes:
As Indians, we are used to eat russet potatoes in routine life. Sweet potatoes are another form of potatoes that are better for us during the winter. Also known as Kachalu, sweet potatoes have anti-oxidant properties and can help you stay healthy. It is also rich in beta carotene, that helps to protect the immune cells from damage and supports normal cell functions.
10Eat Brussels Sprouts:
Brussels sprouts are good vegetables to include in your diet as it can help you to prevent cellular damage. They have high levels of antioxidants, which can help you boost your immune system and keep you from falling sick. Moreover, they are very rich in vitamins too, and have high amounts of Vitamin C, A and B12.
Salmon is very much popular fish species which is commonly preferred by non-vegetarians. Salmon is a very important food item to add to your meal plan during winters. This is because this fish can help you boost the numbers of T-cells in your immune system. People with higher amounts of T-cells are less prone to falling sick easily. Additionally, salmon can help you get essential nutrients like Vitamin D which may be hard to get naturally from winter’s weak sunlight. It is also rich in proteins and omega-3-fatty acids.
Garlic is a tasty herb added to almost every Indian dish. Moreover, garlic has high amounts of calcium, potassium, as well as certain sulphuric compounds that are good for getting rid of infections.
Other Tips to Stay Healthy During Winter:
Apart from taking care of your diet, you can also follow these easy tips to stay healthy during winter:
- Exercise on a regular basis. This can help you prevent weight-gain which can help you prevent any diseases that are linked with weight gain and obesity. Exercise help your body stay active and beat the laziness you may feel in the colder months. It also helps you boost your immune system, which can keep you healthy.
- Avoid sugary treats as much as possible. Processed foods and food items with artificial sugars can be bad for your health. You may feel like staying indoors with a packet of chips and watching a movie, but do not do so! Replace the chips with something healthier instead.
- Use antiseptic wipes if you are spending a lot of time in shared indoor spaces, such as an office space. As mentioned earlier, pathogens can stay in the air for longer periods during the winter. It is better to stay safe by using such items.
- Wash your hands regularly! In the cold season, many people avoid contact with water because they feel cold. But, do not do that. Wash your hands for a minimum of 20 seconds for them to be clean!
- Carry your own water bottle to work to prevent the spread of germs through shared glasses at work. Always keep a handkerchief handy so that you can sneeze into it, and prevent the further spread of germs.
- Eat warm foods like soups, boiled porridges, and so on. This is because warm beverages and foods can make you feel cosy and comfortable.
- Stay away from sick people to prevent the germs from spreading to you!
- Stay warm – it is better to be overdressed and feel slightly warm, than underdressed and feel cold. Carry an extra jacket or shawl everywhere you go to ensure that you are always warm.
Having cold or flu can be terrible. It makes you feel tired, irritable and sick and no one wants to feel this way. This is why you should take the precautions mentioned in this article and make sure that you stay healthy even when winter arrives!
Medlife Shop offers a range of OTC products that you can use to stay healthy. Choose from our wide range of health supplements in order to boost your nutritional intake and help your body fight off diseases. You can also buy immunity boosting single herb supplements like Neem, Tulsi, Moringa and so on!