You may be adding some ginger to your dishes, but have you wondered why? Most may wonder what does ginger do to your food. Most may say that ginger is healthy, but the question is in what way is this actually healthy. Ginger is said to have medicinal properties that are filled with antioxidants used for centuries as a curing agent to relieve pain.
Ginger has been added to almost all culinary dishes in many traditional cultures around the world because of its numerous healing capabilities. May it be curbing nausea and countering inflammation, you name it, ginger can save you from a load of health problems.
Most Asian and Indian cuisines use ginger in most of their dishes because it can prevent loss of appetite, motion sickness and a natural pain reliever. The root of the ginger plants us eaten fresh or sometimes powdered in the form of dry spice and its part of cardamom and turmeric family. This means that ginger is a spice unlike being treated as a vegetable by most Indians.
- Must Know Facts About Ginger:
- 15 Healthy Benefits of Ginger:
- 1. Reduces Cold and Flu:
- 2. Good for Your Heart:
- 3. Treats Inflammation:
- 4. Prevents Cancer:
- 5. Ginger Improves Brain Functionality:
- 6. Treats Muscle Pain:
- 7. Treats Severe Indigestion:
- 8. Prevents Nausea:
- 9. Ginger Protects the Liver:
- 10. Ginger Reduces Menstrual Cramps:
- 11. Ginger Reduces Cholesterol Levels:
- 12. Ginger Can Kill Bad Bacteria:
- 13. Protects you From Alzheimer’s Disease:
- 14. Ginger Protects DNA:
- 15. Ginger Treats Osteoarthritis:
- Health Benefits of Ginger for Skin:
- Health Benefits of Ginger for Hair:
- Healthy Ginger Recipes:
- Risks of Consuming Too Much Ginger:
- News on Ginger:
Must Know Facts About Ginger:
Though ginger has a load of health benefits that comes packed with it, here are some must-know facts about this healthy spice.
- Ginger is used for medicinal purposes to cure inflammation, pain and nausea.
- The use of ginger dates back to 3000 years of rich history. It has never changed in its medicinal properties since time immemorial.
- Ginger helps in treating Asthma.
- Ginger can reduce menstrual cramps.
- Excessive intake of ginger cause acid reflux, diarrhoea and irritation in the mouth
15 Healthy Benefits of Ginger:
Now that you know that ginger is very useful for your health, here are some pointers that will shed some more insight in what way is ginger said to be beneficial for you and your family.
1. Reduces Cold and Flu:
Winter is the best climate to sip a hot cup of ginger tea and this will automatically stabilize your body condition and keep you warm. It enables you to sweat once you consume it and this is said to be good for your body. So, if you are suffering from a bad cold and flu all you need to do is to prepare some ginger tea and you will feel better in no time.
2. Good for Your Heart:
Ginger is good for your heart such that it reduces cholesterol and lowers your risk of having any sort of blood clots. Most importantly, it regulates blood sugar levels. Ginger can in future become an integral medicine for treating diabetes and heart diseases. So, a little bit of ginger added to your everyday diet can work the trick of keeping your heart healthy.
3. Treats Inflammation:
Inflammation is said to be the process wherein white blood cells protects us from infection and viruses. But sometimes this may go wrong and cause severe joint pain and so forth. In this process, your bodies immune system begins to cause damage to its own tissues thus resulting in inflammation. Ginger consists of anti-inflammatory components and antioxidants that can cure inflammation.
4. Prevents Cancer:
According to a study by the British Journal of Nutrition, researchers found that ginger was very effective in blocking prostate cancer cells and their growth. However, due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is able to reduce your risks of having cancer.
5. Ginger Improves Brain Functionality:
The anti-inflammatory properties available in ginger can also keep you alert and helps in good brain functionality. It basically increases your presence of mind. Ginger root can improve cognitive function as per a study by the Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
6. Treats Muscle Pain:
Ginger is said to cure muscle pain and all you need to do is to consume 2 grams of ginger may it be in the form of powder or paste, you will witness the difference within 11 days. Also, it is advised that you conduct some simple elbow exercises in order to experience speedy relief. It may not have a faster impact, instead, it is a much safer way in which you can stay away from side-effects that western medicines offer.
7. Treats Severe Indigestion:
Severe indigestion is also called chronic digestion or dyspepsia that involves re-emerging pain and severe discomfort in the upper part of your stomach. If your stomach does not empty itself soon, it causes indigestion and this scenario ginger can empty your stomach faster and prevent indigestion. Ginger soup can do the trick an can help you empty your stomach within 20 minutes after consumption.
8. Prevents Nausea:
If you have vomiting sensation then you need to ginger as a natural home remedy to prevent it. All you need to do is to chew some raw ginger or simply sip some hot cup of ginger tea and this will cure you of nausea and reduce your risks of having cancer. If you are suffering from nausea due to motion sickness, then ginger again plays the trick. The best part about ginger is that it is best to use even when you pregnant and it prevents nausea quite well.
9. Ginger Protects the Liver:
Ginger is said to protect you from harmful chemicals that can hurt your liver. It also reduces the risks of your liver from ageing. There are heavy metal and drugs that get sedimented on your liver and ginger is said to wash it away. Most importantly it protects your liver from damaging and scaring.
10. Ginger Reduces Menstrual Cramps:
The pain that a woman goes through during her menstrual cycle may be unbearable for some, but ginger can succumb to that pain. It is said that 1 gram of ginger a day can ease menstrual cycle if take for a continuous 3 days.
11. Ginger Reduces Cholesterol Levels:
Ginger is said to reduce cholesterol that is linked to having a high risk of heart diseases. However, if you want to reduce cholesterol then you need to consider adding 3 grams of ginger powder added to your food.
12. Ginger Can Kill Bad Bacteria:
Ginger has the capability to kill bad bacteria and viruses that are prevalent in the cellular structure. How good can it ever get to kill bad bacteria by just consuming some ginger? All you need to do is to add ginger to your everyday diet and you will witness the changes. Moreover, ginger can be consumed in raw form as well as cooked form. A little bit of ginger tea can do the trick.
13. Protects you From Alzheimer’s Disease:
Ginger is said to be a preventive agent against Alzheimer’s disease and chronic inflammation including anti-ageing. There are several studies that have conducted research on the Alzheimer’s disease on lab rats and found that ginger is a good repellant to people suffering from Alzheimer’s diseases.
14. Ginger Protects DNA:
Ginger protects your DNA from getting damaged and causing deformity among newborn. Also, some researchers conducted a study covering 100 fertile men wherein they were given 500mg of ginger powder for a continuous 3 months and this had resulted in the increase of sperm quality. Thus, ginger is said to protect your DNA.
15. Ginger Treats Osteoarthritis:
Osteoarthritis is commonly found among most old people wherein people suffer from severe joint pain and stiffness in the joints. A study had employed 247 people as samples and gave them ginger extract. Shockingly, this has resulted in a reduction of joint pain. Also, a little bit of ginger, cinnamon and sesame oil can helps in reducing the pain faced by osteoarthritis.
Health Benefits of Ginger for Skin:
If ginger has healing capabilities, well, you need to know that this spice is also good for your skin. So if you are battling yourself with acne every day then you need to consume ginger every day and this will help you bid goodbye to acne. Here are some of the medicinal benefits of ginger on your skin.
- Anti-Ageing: Wrinkles are the first sign of ageing and a little bit of ginger tea every day can remove those wrinkles and prevent ageing.
- Glowing Skin: Applying a little bit of ginger on your skin can refresh your skin and make it glow. The same can be the case if you just have a glass of ginger tea.
- Skin Toning: Ginger makes your skin look healthy and softens it, thus making it look young and fresh.
- Reduces White Scars: Ginger has the capability of reducing white scars and all you need to do is to just place a piece of ginger on the white scars for a minimum of 15 minutes and this will do the trick. Healing whiteheads naturally is better than going in for skin treatments that may make your skin appear even worse.
Health Benefits of Ginger for Hair:
Ginger is also said to be good for your hair such that it prevents hair fall and dandruff. Here are some of the benefits that ginger can do to your hair.
- Helps in Hair Growth: Ginger increases the blood circulation to the scalp of your hair and this enables hair growth.
- Prevents Dandruff: Ginger consists of antiseptic properties that help prevent dandruff. Consuming ginger helps you sweat and when you sweat from your hair, it produces natural oils that act as antiseptics preventing dandruff.
- Treats Split Ends: Ginger has antioxidants in it that can prevent split ends and dry hair related problems.
- Reduces Hair Fall: Ginger root can prevent hair loss. It can be consumed in the form of food or tea or sometimes you can make it a paste and place it on your hair and allow it to dry for some time.
Healthy Ginger Recipes:
Ow that you have understood how good ginger can be for you, let’s understand some healthy recipes in which you can add this spice too. These below-listed ginger-based recipes are simple and can be done on a daily basis in a few minutes.
1. Chicken with Ginger Topping:
This is a tasty dry dish with added benefits of ginger toppings on lemonicious chicken. This dish can be made within 50 minutes and this is how healthy it can get.
Preparation for Chicken with Ginger Topping:
Here is how you can prepare this jaw-dropping dish of chicken with ginger topping.
- Firstly, slice the chicken thigh in 2 to 3 big pieces and put in a small bowl. Then add ginger garlic, chilli powder, lime juice and one tablespoon of oil.
- Once this is done, you need to keep it on the fridge and marinate the chicken.
- Then, chop some onions and fry them in a pan for 8 minutes with some turmeric powder.
- Once this is done, you need to add all of the mixtures to the chicken and then fry it till it turns golden brown. Then add some tiny ginger pieces on top and your chicken with ginger topping is ready.
2. Ginger Lemon Fizz:
With ginger chicken, you need something which is fizzy and refreshing to keep your taste buds alive. Ginger lemon fizz will give you a citric burst that will add an energizing appeal to your taste buds.
Preparation for Ginger Lemon Fizz:
Here is how you need to prepare a glass of ginger lemon fizz for yourself.
- Firstly, fill 200ml of water in a glass and add sugar, ginger and squeeze some lime.
- Once this is done heat it for 5 minutes and then keep it aside to cool naturally.
- Add a little bit of soda in it once it is cool and then drink it up.
Risks of Consuming Too Much Ginger:
Ginger may have loads of benefits and this means that you can consume it on a limited basis. However, if your one among those people who are sensitive to ginger, then you should not be consuming it, as this can lead to further health complications. Excessive consumption of ginger may lead to the following problems.
- Consuming excessive ginger may increase heartburn
- If in case you are taking blood thinning medications, then you need to consult your doctor before you consume ginger.
- Ginger packaged supplements cannot be trusted. It is advised that you consult your doctor about the same.
Note: If you are of the assumption that ginger offers loads of benefits and that you prefer consuming it for faster relief, then you may be inviting unnecessary trouble.
Ginger has loads of health benefits and healing properties. However, many researchers are still studying this spice as it has something more to say with its 3000 years of rich legacy in India. Here are some frequently asked questions that will give you insight into ginger and many other health benefits and risks.
1. Is ginger garlic paste good for you?
Ginger garlic paste is definitely good for you as this has healing properties. Both ginger and garlic are said to have anti-inflammatory benefits such as
- Reduces blood pressure
- Helps in good and faster digestion
- It is a natural painkiller
- Reduces your risk of having stomach cancer
- It is anti-ageing.
2. Does ginger tea have side-effects?
No!, ginger tea does not have any side-effects, but if in case you are allergic to it then you may face irritation with ginger in the beginning. Also, excessive consumption of ginger can cause health complications. So make sure you consume it in limit and stay healthy. Excessive consumption of ginger can lead to stomach ulcers or heartburns.
3. Is ginger beer healthy?
If consuming ginger is good for you, then having a mug of ginger beer is even healthier. In fact, the best way of consuming beer is in its beer form. Compared to other carbonated drinks, ginger is said to be healthier.
The health importance of ginger is still being researched and let us hope to see in as a natural way in which it can be used to treat heart diseases in future. However, since time immemorial this spice has been used for curing purposes and as a result of its medicinal properties still remain till this day. All you need to do is to make yourself a cup of hot ginger tea and you will prevent yourself from a load of health problems.
News on Ginger:
Ginger Water: A must add Supplement to Your Diet
-21st January 2019
Well, if ginger tea is said to be good for your health, then you need to try ginger water. New researches state that this root based spice has loads of health benefits because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger water may help you at times when you are suffering from nausea, blood sugar and overweight. Drinking ginger water can reduce your risk of chronic diseases too. Ginger water helps your stomach clear soon thereby resulting in normal bowel movements. It also helps reduce menstrual pain and cramps. So all you need to do is to simply add some ginger to your tea or some boiled water and drink it.
Ginger Oil: A Natural Remedy For Inflammation and Swelling
-16th January 2019
If you are suffering from inflammation or swelling in your body and that you prefer taking western medication, then you may be wrong. Ginger oil is said to be the best remedy for treating swelling and inflammation. No matter whether you eat it, drink it or apply it on your skin, this is one of the best natural ways in which you can battle pain caused by swelling and inflammation.
Applying ginger oil onto your skin will decrease cytokines, which is said to be the major enzyme that causes inflammation. You can apply it if you are suffering from knee pain and joint pain too. Also, you need to check if the ginger oil your about to use is undiluted. If so, do not apply it on your skin directly because this may cause irritation and other allergic reactions. Instead, you can mix some ginger oil along with some vaseline and then apply it.
Also, you need to keep in mind that using ginger oil in moderation is safer and once you feel that your skin is able to tolerate it, you can add begin adding more. Ginger oil can reduce joint pain, knee pain, inflammation and swelling provided it is used in the right manner. Make sure you consult a dermatologist before applying it on your skin.