What good is the warmth of summer without the cold of winter to give it sweetness?
While we dream of enjoying the beauty of nature in winters, it can also be a time of worry as winter is known to play havoc with our skin…The dryness in the winter air is harsh enough to steal the glow from the rosiest of cheeks. Most of us try to battle out the winters with an unending array of creams and moisturizers. But how many of us can truly claim to have completely problem-free skin during the winters, none? Are you one of the scores of women, who feel like hiding themselves indoors all the time during winters? So what is it that we are not doing right with our skin care regimen in winters?
Read on for some helpful tips that will make your skin feel soft and supple during this winter season.
Changing weather means changing your skin care regimen:
- Use an oil based moisturizer rather than a water based moisturizer so that the oil forms a protective layer on the skin and retains moisture on the face.
- Moisturize your skin several times a day. Use body lotions that contain avocado oil, primrose oil, almond oil, tea tree oil, mineral oil or glycerine daily to reduce the dryness on your skin.
- Drink plenty of water every day to keep yourself hydrated as it helps your skin stay young and wrinkle free.
- Use sunscreen on your face and hands while going out to protect the exposed areas of your skin from the winter sun.
- Hot baths tend to pull moisture out from your skin. Lukewarm water is a much better option for a bath during winter. (1)
Say hello to rosy lips this winter:
Lips need a lot of care in the cold weather. Chapped, dry lips are a common problem that all of us face. Fortunately, it doesn’t take long to heal chapped lips.
- Wash your lips with a moisturizing cleanser to soften the skin.
- Exfoliate your lips to remove the chapped skin. Use a wet washcloth or soft toothbrush to gently rub your lips.
- Alternatively, make your own lip scrub by mixing basic ingredients like sugar, water, salt and honey.
- Apply a lip balm to instantly add an emollient layer to your lips.
- Look for lip balms that contain castor oil, olive oil and cocoa butter.
- Lysine is important to maintain soft lips. Foods like fish and eggs are good supplements of lysine. (2,3)
Don’t forget the skin on your scalp!
Dandruff is quite common during winter season due to dryness of the scalp.
- To avoid this try hot oil and lemon therapy at least once a week to get rid of dandruff.
- Heat olive oil and apply on the scalp with cotton wool. Then dip a towel in hot water, squeeze out the water and wrap the towel around the head.
Keep it on for 5 minutes. This helps the hair and scalp absorb the oil better. Leave the oil on overnight. The next morning, apply the juice of a lemon on the scalp and wash the hair after half an hour.
Wash your hair with lukewarm water to avoid frizzy and static hair due to hot water. Use hair conditioner to avoid dryness.
Make sure to use a serum or a hair cream after a head bath to smoothen and bring shine to your hair. (1, 4)
Your feet need stronger care:
Scrub calluses with a pumice stone in the shower once every week to slough off rough, dead skin.
Moisturize feet, especially the heels, every day with thick cream-lotions containin
lactic acid and wear cotton socks to bed which can help the creams absorb.(5)
If you go to your local pharmacy, you’ll be hard put to find a salesperson who would give you good advice. That’s why going to a dermatologist even once is a good investment. Such a specialist can analyse your skin type and give you the right advice on skin care products that are ideally suited to your skin type.
And to make your life easy you can actually order these products from Medlife.com and get healthy and glowing skin delivered at your doorstep. (6)