It is once again that time of the year when we must bid adieu to 2017 and start welcoming 2018. Christmas and New Year decorations have already gone up across the world. However, for Indians, no occasion is complete without one very important ingredient – FOOD.
We present to you some recipes to try out at home this holiday season. So, spread the joy of food this festive season and ensure that you share these tasty recipes with your friends, families and acquaintances.
1. The Appetizer
Sizzling Stir Fried Chilli Chicken
- 2 cups of boneless chicken cut into uniform bite-size pieces.
- 5-6 Tbsp of oil.
- 7-8 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 4-5 red and green chilies, roughly chopped.
- 7-8 Tsp tomato puree.
- 3-4 Tsp chili sauce.
- 1-2 Tsp sugar
- 1 Tsp soy sauce
- 7-8 fresh basil leaves
- Take a non-stick pan and add the oil. After the oil is moderately hot, add the chopped garlic along with the chopped chilies.
- Add the chicken pieces into the pan and toss lightly to ensure that the pieces are evenly coated with the other ingredients. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Next add the chili sauce, tomato puree, soy sauce and the sugar into the pan. Cook till the sauce starts reducing (thickening the sauce by boiling away the excess liquid).
- Finally, chop the fresh basil leaves and add them into the mix. Let the chicken soak in the aroma and further reduce the sauce if needed.
- Serve hot.
Mouth Watering Masala Chicken Wings
- 1 Kg chicken wings
- 3 Tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 Tsp red chili powder
- 2 Tsp turmeric powder
- 3 Tsp coriander powder
- 3 Tsp cumin powder
- 1 Tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp coriander seeds
- 5-6 dry red chilies
- 4 onions, julienned
- 2 capsicum, julienned (Thin strips resembling matchsticks)
- 5-6 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- Juice of one lime
- 4 Tsp refined oil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- A sprig of fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- The chicken wings need to be marinated. For this, add the ginger-garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt into the chicken wings. Drizzle the olive oil and gently rub the spices onto the wings.
- Heat up a pan and add the refined oil. When the oil gets extremely hot, add the chicken pieces and sear them. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the wings.
- To prepare the masala to go with the wings, heat a pan and add oil to it. Add dry red chilies, cumin and coriander seeds and wait till these spices start to splutter.
- Now add the cooked wings into this mix and toss well.
- Add the julienned onions and capsicum into the mix. Wait for onions to brown.
- Add sliced tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes until the raw flavor of the tomato dissipates.
- Add sugar, lime juice, water and cook it for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
2. Main Course
Succulent Indian Chicken Roast
- Whole chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 3 leeks
- 1 garlic
- 3-4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp garam masala powder
- ½ Tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 Tsp ginger-garlic paste
- Dried fenugreek (Kasuri methi)
- ½ Tsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- For the chicken marinate, mix red chili powder, dried fenugreek, turmeric, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, cumin powder and brown sugar together.
- Drizzle the molten butter on the chicken and massage the spice mixture on the entire chicken, taking care to spread it evenly.
- Take an oven tray and place the roughly chopped carrot, onion and leeks on the bottom of the tray. Place the marinated chicken on top of the vegetables. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and roast the chicken at the same temperature for at least 35-40 minutes.
Read Also 8 Wrong ways to eat Healthy food!
Fluffy Spiced Rum Fruit Cake
- For soaking fruits,
- 300 grams dried black grapes
- 200 grams dried apricots
- 100 grams golden raisin
- 100 grams Currants
- ½ cup dark rum
- For first spice mix,
- 6 cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ Tsp nutmeg
- 6 cardamom
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ Tsp cumin seeds
- For second spice mix,
- 1 Tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 Tsp dry ginger powder
- Zest of a lime
- Zest of an orange
- For the cake,
- 200 grams of brown sugar
- 200 grams of white sugar
- 500 ml of water
- 100 grams of butter
- 1 Tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 420 grams of flour
- 2 Tsp baking soda
- Add the rum into the chopped raisins and dry fruits. Let them soak the liquid for atleast a day.
- Dry roast the ingredients listed under the first spice mix, namely the cloves, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cardamom, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. After proper roasting, cool the spices and grind into a fine powder.
- In a pan, add the soaked dry fruits, the ground spices of the first spice mix, and the whole spices in the second spice mix. Add both kinds of sugar, butter, salt and water into the mix as well. Bring this mixture to the boil and reduce the flame. Let it simmer for a few minutes longer. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and add the same to the cooled down fruit mixture. Mix this concoction well.
- Sieve the flour and baking soda into the cooled fruit mixture as well. Start folding in the flour into the mixture using a spatula.
- Take a cake tin and grease and flour its base and sides. Line it with parchment papers and transfer the cake batter into the tin.
- Bake the cake for around 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven once baked and let it cool down to room temperature.
- After cooling, remove the cake from the tin and cut into uniform slices.
- Serve with whipped cream.