Split ends can be a huge cause of perennial distress in women. No matter how beautiful, strong, lustrous, and long your hair is, split-ends may end up giving your hair a broom-like appearance- which is unappealing. Even with endless conditioning, sometimes, split ends are inevitable.
So what are split ends in the first place?
“Split ends” is a term used to indicate the splitting or fraying of hair which as a result makes it look overly tangled and damaged. Medical professionals refer to it as “trichoptilosis.”
If not trimmed off on a regular basis, split-ends tend to break off or continue splitting up the entire length of your hair. This makes the hair weak and frail.
Causes of Split Ends
- Lack of moisture and proper nourishment are not the only causes of split-ends. There are various causes of this hair menace. They include;
- Overuse of hot styling tools such as blow dryers, hot combs, and curling irons
- Excessive use of chemical treatments such as relaxers, perms, and hair color
- Brushing wet hair
- Over washing or excessive use of shampoo
- Lack of proper routine maintenance such as deep conditioning treatments and regular trimming
- Use of poor quality styling tools and hair care products
- Environmental damage from cold, heat, wind, sun’s UV-rays and other climate problems.
Natural Hair Masks for Split-Ends
If you are looking to grow your hair long and thick, you should know that even though trimming is an effective way of getting rid of split-ends, sadly, it’s not always the solution.
To prevent split-ends in the first place, you should aim to make your hair strong and healthy. One of the best ways to do this is by using natural hair masks. Yes, you heard that right. Natural hair masks tend to be highly effective for various hair problems, including split ends.
The good news is that unlike other expensive hair chemicals and serums, these natural masks are readily available, cheap, and are safe to use.
Enough said. Let’s have a look at 5 natural hair masks for split ends that work.
- Egg Mask
You’ve probably heard that egg masks are great hair strengtheners and maybe have used them yourself. What you may not know is that eggs are also great for split ends. That’s right.
Eggs are a powerhouse of high-quality protein and essential fatty acids that help strengthen the hair follicles. When used together with extra-virgin olive oil and honey, this mask can enhance your hair’s resistance to breakage, reduce the formation of tangles, and make your hair super-smooth.
How to Make the Hair Mask
- Separate the egg and retain the yolk
- Whisk one egg yolk, add 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey
- Apply onto wet hair and leave for about 30 minutes
- Rinse and shampoo as usual
- Avocado Mask
Have you ever wondered why many hair products contain avocado as part of the main ingredients?
Well, avocado works effectively as a deep conditioner to create strong, healthy, and lustrous locks. It’s packed with protein, essential fatty acids, a load of essential vitamins and minerals, and other nutrients that nourish your hair a great deal and stimulates its growth. It also helps soften hair. This as a result prevents the formation of split ends.
How to Make an Avocado Hair Mask
- Mash up one medium-sized ripe avocado in a bowl and mix with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and another for coconut oil
- Mix well until you get a smooth consistency
- Apply onto your hair ends (avoid the roots)
- Leave for about 30 minutes
- Rinse and shampoo
- Repeat at least once a week
- Raw Organic Honey Mask
Raw honey is one of the best and most effective natural remedies for split ends. Because it is an emollient, honey traps moisture in your hair thus keeping it well-conditioned, super soft, and lustrous. This as a result prevents damage, including split ends.
How to Make a Honey Mask
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of raw organic honey with 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Apply the mixture to your hair after shampooing
- Leave for about 20 to 30 minutes
- Rinse and wash with a moisturizing shampoo
- Repeat at least once per week
- Banana Mask
Banana is rich in essential vitamins, iron, potassium, and natural oils- just what your hair needs to repair itself. Combining it with a few more ingredients will create an even stronger hair mask.
How to Make a Banana Mask
- Mash a banana in a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon of lemon, 2 tablespoons of yogurt, and 1 tablespoon of rose water
- Apply to your hair and leave for about 30 minutes
- Rinse and shampoo
- Repeat at least once a week for better results
- Papaya Mask
Papaya masks are not only great for getting rid of acne and other facial problems. It’s also great for damaged hair. This mask works wonders for split ends!
How to Make a Papaya Hair Mask
- Mix 4 tablespoons of papaya with 2 tablespoons of yogurt
- Apply to your hair, cover with a shower cap, and leave for around 20-30 minutes
- Rinse and shampoo as usual
As you can see, these ingredients are right in your kitchen. There is absolutely no need to buy expensive hair treatment chemicals and serums. Furthermore, these will only end up damaging your hair in the long-term.
Be sure to try out these incredible natural hair masks for split-ends to get beautiful, healthy, and strong hair naturally.