Breathing is an activity which is very important for a human body to function. Although it may not seem like a difficult task, irregular breathing or difficulty in breathing can lead to many complications and health risks. One such complication is Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This is a chronic condition that is caused by inflammation in the lungs which obstructs the airflow. Symptoms are difficulty in breathing, mucus production, wheezing and cough. COPD patients are at a higher chance of getting heart diseases, cancer and other such conditions. COPD can be treated with right management. People with COPD can attain good control and quality of life. Here are 5 yoga practices for the same.
1Nirvana Pranayam (Pursed Lip Breathing)
- Breathe in slowly through your nose
- Bring your lips closer and pucker them up
- When you exhale, breathe out of lips and continue doing so for 2-3 times or as long as you are breathed in
- Repeat this at least 10-15 times
2Marjariasana (Cat Pose)
- Kneel down on your mat, raise and bring your hands down
- Make sure that your palms and shoulders are perpendicular to the floor
- Breathe out slowly and lift your back towards the ceiling
- Distribute the weight evenly on your shoulders and wrists
- Make sure you do not exert too much pressure and strain yourself
Also Check Other Benefits of Yoga
3Ardha Matsyendrasana (Seated Spinal Twist Pose)
- Sit down comfortably, with spine erect and stretch your legs out in front of you
- Now bend your right leg towards you, making sure that the right knee is aligned to your chest
- Bend your left leg and place it below your right leg.
- Rest your right butt on the heel of your left leg
- Take your right hand behind your back and place your left hand on right leg
4Trikon Asana (Triangle Pose)
- Stand straight and keep your feet apart, around 4 feet.
- Carry your right foot out to a perpendicular angle.
- Turn your left foot inwards.
- Lift your hands to shoulder-height, but parallel to the floor.
- Bend down towards the right and place your right hand on right ankle
- Turn your left palm forward in the sky’s direction.
- Very carefully turn your head to concentrate on the left thumb.
5Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutations)
- Stand with your back straight and arms in prayer position
- Lift your arms, in prayer position above your head and bend slightly backwards
- Release your hands and lowly bend down. Try to touch your palms to the ground.
- Bend both your knees and stretch your left leg behind
- Then get your right leg back and make sure you are aligned to the floor
- In the same position, go down touch the floor. Raise your buttocks towards the ceiling
- From the previous position, move to downward facing dog position
- Inhale, bend your knees slightly and get your left foot forward
- Carefully bring your right foot in line to your left foot
- Keep your palms in same position
- Rise up from that position and bring your hands above your head
- Get your hands down