The prostate is a walnut – sized gland. It secretes a fluid that protects sperms and nourishes them. The prostate gland is present in female as well. It also secretes fluid during orgasm. There are certain prostate conditions. These are as follows-
- Prostate Cancer – It is common amongst males. Surgery, chemotherapy can be used to cure it.
- Prostate Enlargement – Mainly it can cause difficulty in passing urine.
- Prostate Inflammation – It is caused mainly due to infection. Antibiotics can treat this.
Treatment for Prostate:
Certain medications like alpha-blockers can be helpful. Antibiotics can be helpful in prostate inflammation.
2. Prostate Cancer Treatment:
- Hormone Therapy
There are certain food items for a healthy prostate. Certain food items can protect the risk of prostate cancer or enlarged prostate.
Food Items to Prevent Prostate Cancer:
- Cruciferous Vegetables:This includes cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and kale. These have high antioxidants that may prevent cell changes. They decrease the risk of cancer.
- Tomatoes: Foods, which are rich in lycopene, have anti – cancer properties. The high amount of lycopene in the blood helps in reducing spreading of the cancerous cells and helps in the lower risk of cancer.
- Other foods containing lycopene are guavas, carrots and papaya. You can have tomatoes in the form of ketchup, soup, juices and tomato paste. Guava especially pink ones are rich in lycopene. Lycopene in papaya is present in the ripe and red flesh of the fruit. Some other fruits like red-fleshed watermelon are also rich in lycopene.
- Fruits: Certain fruits like apples, apricots, and plums help in reducing cancerous cells. Certain antioxidant fruits like raspberries, blueberries and strawberries are high in anti-oxidant and have a low glycemic index.
- Vegetables: Vegetables rich in fibers like lentils, black beans, peas, sweet potato, okra and carrots.
- Soy: Soy milk helps in fighting cancer.
- Green Tea: Sipping green tea every day is rich in antioxidants, which helps to reduce cancer cells.
- Pomegranate Juice: This is considered good as it hinders the production of cancer cells.
Also Read: Ketogenic Diet: Killing Kilos with the Keto
Food Items for Enlarged Prostate:
Enlarged prostate, also called benign prostate hyperplasia is one problem of the prostate. There are certain food items that may help in controlling it. These are-
- Vitamin C Rich Diet: Citrus fruits like oranges, lemon and grapefruits. Green leafy vegetables like spinach, mustard greens, kale and other leafy vegetables.
- Food Rich in Zinc – Sesame Seeds: Because of high zinc content in sesame seeds, it is considered best source for a healthy prostate. Other sources of high zinc content foods are baked beans, beef and lamb. Zinc that comes from food is easy to absorb and better than supplements.
These can help an enlarged prostate.
- Salmon: Omega 3 rich food is helpful for prostate health. It also helps in reducing cholesterol, helps in the healthy heart, fights against cancer and reducing weight.
- Avocados: These are rich in beta-sitosterol, which is a plant, which helps in reducing an enlarged prostate. It is considered to increase urine output and less urine retention. Other such products are pecans, wheat germ and soybeans.
There are certain food items that create a reaction in the body in the forms of inflammation. One should avoid such food items. These include-
- Acidic foods
- Spicy foods
- Hot peppers
- Canned foods – Can have bisphenol- A which is an environmental hazard which seeps into the food item and can cause prostitis.
Certain Foods that may Help in Preventing Prostitis are:
- Fruits – These are good for prostate health, but avoid citrus foods.
- High Fibre Diet
- Plenty of Water
- Food Supplements – Docusate, Baking Soda, Polycarbophil, Which is Considered Laxative.
- Probiotics – Taking probiotics helps in healthy digestion. It is present in yoghurt and other fermented food. Studies have shown taking regular probiotics helps in reducing the development of acute or chronic prostitis.
- Fish Oil
- Antifungal Supplements – Oregano, garlic and grapefruit seed extract. These can be taken in the form of capsules.
- Rye Pollen Extract – 3 tablets of rye pollen extract daily
These are some of the basic food items. If these are included in your diet, they may help in the healthy prostate.