All over the world, there are several cultures which believe in bringing in the new year with the right kind of food. In fact, almost every country has a new year belief or practice. All of these practices are centered around the belief that individual continues experiencing or repeating whatever he/she did since the onset of the first day of the new year.
So, while midnight is spent celebrating with near and dear ones, the entire day is spent on activities that the individual wishes to enjoy for the rest of the year. Well, here are some new dishes and easy to cook recipes which may bring you luck this new year.
The Italians have a tradition of eating a lentil and sausage soup. Lentils look like small coins and when left in water they tend to bloat up, this signifies an increase in your wealth. However, for the benefit of our readers, we have found a vegetarian version of this lentil soup.[table “136” not found /]
- In a large pot, heat oil.
- Add the bay leaf first and then add onions, carrots, and water chestnut and cook.
- Once the onions are tender and done, add garlic and Italian seasoning and mix.
- Now add lentils and water.
- Add tomatoes and reduce the heat. Allow the lentils to simmer for over 1 hour, check from time to time to ascertain the readiness of the lentils.
- Once the lentils are almost done, add spinach and let it cook till the spinach leaves wilt.
- Add salt, pepper, and vinegar according to your taste and stir.
- Serve hot.
2Black Eyed Peas and Collard Green Soup:
People throughout the southern United States of America, collectively believe that a dish named “Hoppin Johns” which is a combination of rice, black-eyed peas, and collard greens brings luck. Here the peas signify pennies, while the greens signify money. And now we have black-eyed peas and collard greens soup for you.[table “137” not found /]
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and add garlic, cook till it has become golden brown.
- Add onions and carrots and cook till carrots start taking a brown tinge.
- Now, add the spinach and cook till it wilts.
- Once the spinach has wilted, add the black eyes peas and water and allow the mix to simmer.
- In a separate pan, add water and quinoa and let it simmer for 10 minutes, by which the quinoa would have absorbed some water and become semi-cooked.
- Now transfer the quinoa mix into the pot with the soup, add a little more water and let it simmer and reduce, repeat the process till the black eyes peas are cooked.
- Now, stir in apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper and serve hot.
People in countries such as Spain, Cuba, and Portugal believe that grapes symbolize luck. Traditionally, on a new year, people eat 12 grapes, which signify the twelve months of happiness. So, here is a tasty appetizer for fruit and luck-filled new year.[table “138” not found /]
- Using the toothpicks are skewers, pierce through the fruits and marshmallows ensuring that each skewer has one piece of all the fruits along with the marshmallow piece in the end.
- In a double boiler, add the chopped dark chocolate and some unsalted butter and let it melt.
- Pour the smooth chocolate liquid in a bowl and serve as a dip for the fruit kebabs.
In some cultures, the yellow colour of the corn symbolizes the acquisition of gold. Thus, several cultures believe in eating corn or cornbread in the hopes of acquiring gold throughout the year. Here is a tasty appetizer made of corn.[table “139” not found /]
- In a pot add one cup of cleaned corn kernels, corn flour, rice flour, maida, 1 tsp soy sauce, ¼ tsp salt and pepper and mix well. Add about 1 tsp water if needed and mix till all corn kernels are covered.
- In a deep dish heat the one cup oil till it starts crackling.
- Add the corn kernels and fry till the outside coating takes a golden brown tinger and becomes crispy.
- Take the corn kernels out with a strainer and let the oil be removed.
- Now, in a separate pan, take about 2 Tbsp hot oil from the previous dish and heat.
- Add the onions and spring onion pieces and cook until they are translucent.
- Now, add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add half the cup of corn kernels, along with the coated and cooked corn kernels and saute.
- Add 1 tsp soy sauce, some salt and pepper to taste, along with the coriander leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
In cultures throughout the world, fishes are considered to be a symbol of good luck. In fact, some have hypothesized that fish mean abundance because they lay several eggs at the same time, right along with having a glittery and silvery look. Here is a great fish dish to start the new year with:[table “140” not found /]
- In a bowl add honey, mustard, and butter, and blend together till they are nicely combined. Then leave it aside.
- Now, in a separate bowl add the coriander leaves, bread crumbs, and almonds and mix together.
- Now, brush the fish fillets with the honey-mustard mix, ensuring to coat the top of the fish.
- Now sprinkle some breadcrumb mix on the top of the fish, till it is well covered with the dry items. Add the fillets to a baking dish.
- Now, preheat an oven at 400 degrees.
- Bake the fish for 10-15 minutes, check after ten minutes and stop baking once the fish starts to come out in flakes when you cut it with a fork.
- Allow the fish to rest in the oven for ten minutes.
- Take the fillets out, sprinkle some salt and pepper on them, garnish the plate with a lemon wedge and serve hot.
China has a very interesting new year tradition, here a special kind of noodle is cooked which essentially is one long strand of noodle which hasn’t been cut or broken in any pieces either while cooking or eating as this long continuous noodle symbolizes longevity.[table “141” not found /]
- In a bowl add sake, soy sauce, sugar, water, cornflour, and apple cider vinegar and whisk them together till they form a smooth paste.
- In a wok, heat oil till it starts smoking, now add the garlic and dried red chilies, and remove the wok from the heat within 10 seconds of adding the garlic and chilies.
- Reduce the flame to medium heat before adding the wok to the heat.
- Now, add ginger paste, spring onions, mushrooms, and spinach, crank up the heat to high and saute for 3 minutes.
- Now, add the soaked rice noodles, soy sauce mix and cook till the noodles become tender.
- Plate the noodles, garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve hot.
Pomegranates have revered since time immemorial, while pomegranate seeds are believed to be the seeds of the underworld in some cultures, they also symbolize a long life ahead. Some cultures also believe that pomegranates bring luck into new homes. Here is an easy recipe to bring in the new year with a bang of flavours:[table “142” not found /]
- In a bowl add cumin, garlic, coriander, herbs de Provence, black pepper, cinnamon powder, chili flakes, and chili powder and mix.
- Add the chicken pieces to another bowl along with ⅔ spice mix and coat the chicken well with the spices.
- Now move the chicken pieces in a storage bowl, add the pomegranate juice and refrigerate the marinade for 6-12 hours.
- Now preheat an oven at 400 degrees
- Take the chicken out of the marination bowl and pat dry it.
- Sprinkle the remaining spices and salt on the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken in an oiled baking dish and brush the chicken pieces with olive oil.
- Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes. Keep checking the chicken occasionally to ensure that it is properly done and not overcooked.
- As the chicken bakes, boil the spice and pomegranate juice mix in a pan and simmer till the mix reduces to ⅔ of the original amount.
- Once the chicken is done and ready to be served, pour this sauce on top of the chicken and serve.
As we had mentioned before, several South American cultures believe that collard greens symbolize money and thus should be eaten in the new year. While it may be difficult to find collard greens in India, spinach is a good substitute and here is a great chicken and spinach recipe:[table “143” not found /]
- Cut the chicken breasts from the center into two pieces.
- Add the chicken pieces in a bowl with maida,salt, and pepper, and about 1 tbsp water and mix coating the chicken well with the batter.
- Now heat butter in a pan. Add the chicken pieces and cook on medium heat till both sides of a chicken take a golden brown colour and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and put them on a plate.
- Now in the same pan, add the olive oil, mushrooms, and sundried tomatoes saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the port wine.
- Place the pan back on heat and let the wine cook, add spinach, and salt and pepper and cook till the wine reduces and the spinach wilts.
- Season the sauce with oregano and pour it on top of the chicken before serving.
The Greeks have a very unique and familial tradition of sharing a cake with a coin in it and the member who gets the coin in their cake is supposed to be blessed with the good luck for the entire year. Here is a simple vasilopita recipe.[table “144” not found /]
- In a bowl sieve together maida and baking powder and keep aside.
- In a bowl add 2 cups of sugar, oil, vanilla essence, milk and eggs and whip them together till the mix becomes light and frothy.
- Add the maida into the mix and fold it in with help of a spatula before whisking it. Keep whisking till you get a smooth, and light batter.
- Cover a cake dish with baking paper and pour the batter in it, using a spatula to evenly spread the batter.
- If you have a preset cake menu in your oven or microwave then use that menu. If not then preheat your oven at 350 degrees, use the convection method in your microwave. Add the baking dish and bake the cake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, the cake will rise and crack on its own, however, a toothpick test it recommended.
- As the cake bakes, add the whipping cream and 1 ½ cups of sugar in a bowl which is placed on a bed of ice and whip the cream till you get a light, smooth and floaty mix, which can form peaks.
- Once your cake is done, allow it to cool for ten minutes in the oven before taking it out and cooling it on a wire rack.
- Push the coin in the cake as it cools on the wire rack.
- Now, transfer the cooled down cake to a cake table, cut away the uneven edges and use a spatula to spread the whipped cream on the top as well as sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with honey roasted almonds.
- Add the leftover whipped cream in a piping bag and make designs on the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for 15 minutes before serving.
This time around we have curated for you some easy to cook recipes which will bring you luck in the coming year! In fact, all these dishes are also healthy looking at the number of good elements we are pouring into these food items. Please do try these recipes and leave back your feedback. Happy New Year!
Also Read: 20 Health Resolutions for New Year 2019