31st May is considered as the World Anti-Tobacco Day. We at Medlife feel everyday should be an anti-tobacco day as consumption of tobacco is doing no good to anyone. In this article, we bring to you the reasons you should quit smoking, a few more and 5 ways to resist tobacco craving.
1. You don’t desire to have stained teeth, do you?
Tobacco takes a toll on your appearance. Not just stained teeth but consumption of tobacco also leads to blood-shot eyes and in extreme cases affects one’s motor skills.
2. Fitness freak? Yeah right!
No matter how hard you work out in the gym, if you are smoking you cannot stay healthy inside. It slows down the blood flow in the arteries, destroys the lung tissue and inhibits breathing.
Smoking also effects your sleep pattern and we all know that sleep is important for healthy memory. Therefore, smoking will interrupt not just your sleep but your memory and ability to learn new things as well.
4. Want to be the next depression story?
Studies state that tobacco, weed or alcohol gives momentary feel good or high factor but people who does these on a regular basis are more prone to depression, fatigue, paranoia and despair.
5. The list doesn’t end with Cancer
Yes, cancer is not the only deadly disease that tobacco leads to. It’s been proven that smoking causes bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery disease, liver damage, cataract, pneumonia, heart attack and many more.
Smokers’ Risk of Heart Attack
- Smokers have triple the risk of heart attack than non-smokers
- Smoking just 8 cigarettes a day doubles one’s heart attack risk
- Light smokers who give up smoking return to normal non-smoking risk of heart attack after 3-5 years
- Heavy smokers who give up smoking still have 22% higher heart attack risk 20 years after they quit
- 22 hours of exposure to passive smoking raises heart attack risk by 45%
5 Ways to Resist Tobacco Craving
- Nothing like self-determination
- Try nicotine replacement therapy after consulting a doctor
- Identify your triggers and avoid them. The best is to replace it with some sport or hobby to keep yourself occupied
- Chew sugarless gum, hard candy or munch carrots, nuts or sunflower seeds
- Practice relaxation techniques like deep breathing, muscle relaxation, yoga etc.
Be smart. Quit smoking today.