Carrots are loaded with a lot of minerals, fibres and vitamins that are said to be good for your health. This vegetable is most often said to be perfect to be added to your everyday diet as it is rich in nutrients, vitamin K, antioxidants and is also a rich source of fibre. Well, if carrots do possess all of the above health benefits, what makes it one among the healthiest food to be added to your fitness diet? Let us find out what makes this root vegetable a good diet food.
- Must Know Facts About Carrots:
- Carrot Nutrition Facts:
- Health Benefits of Carrot:
- Benefits of Drinking Carrot Juice:
- Healthy Carrot Recipes:
Must Know Facts About Carrots:
Apart from offering loads of health benefits, this root vegetable has some interesting facts that make it the perfect vegetable to be added to your daily diet. Carrots may be beneficial for you, but the question is, in what way and how can this root-based vegetable add goodness to your health. Here are some must-know facts about carrots and an added dose of nutrients to your body.
- Consuming just one carrot a day is equivalent to one complete serving of your daily veggies.
- Orange carrots contain beta-carotene that is converted into vitamin A. This is good for your eyes, teeth and skin.
- There are purple carrots that act as antioxidants in your body, thus preventing you from harmful germs that can cause potential harm to your body.
- Carrots help your digestive system as it contains a good amount of fibre.
- Carrots do have high natural sugar content when compared to other vegetables and this makes it a good snack to munch on even when it is added to many dishes.
- Washington is said to be the largest producer of carrots in the United States.
Carrot Nutrition Facts:
Carrots were first cultivated thousands of years ago in Afghanistan and the first traces of carrots were said to be bitter, yellow in colour or sometimes purple in colour and had a woody flavour. This was something different from the contemporary carrots we consume today.
Way before anyone could have even dreamt of eating sweet carrots, purple, red, white and yellow carrots, were cultivated. Moreover, the sweet, crunchy and orangey carrots were first cultivated by the Dutch during the 16th and 17th centuries.
Firstly, you need to know that this vegetable consists of 85% to 90% water while the remaining 10% consists of carbohydrates. However, this root vegetable contains fewer proteins and fat.
Note: The below-listed data is measured as per 100 grams of carrot.
Since carrots are made of 85% to 90% water they contain sugars and starch that are beneficial to your health. It also consists of fibres that help in lowering down blood sugar levels and help good bacteria in your gut to prevent you from falling sick. It has a high source of vitamins and minerals that can keep you energised and fit.
Adding carrots to your everyday diet will help you stay fit and healthy. The best part of carrots is that it consists of vitamin A which helps in good eyesight and growth of the immune system. It strengthens your immune system, such that, it contains carotenoids that will help your immune system fight many diseases. This means that carotenoids will reduce your risks of developing certain types of cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
If your diet has a rich source of carotenoids, then you can be sure that this will protect you from certain types of cancer. Some of these cancers include colon, stomach and prostate cancer. In terms of women consuming carotenoids, this would help them reduce their risks of breast cancer.
Health Benefits of Carrot:
Now that you have understood the different types of nutrients that carrots have, here are some health benefits of carrots and their worth for everyone to consume every day. There has been evidence in previous studies that state that carrot is rich in antioxidants and that it can lower the risk of many diseases and certain types of cancer.
1. Reduces Risks of Cancer:
Consuming carrots can reduce your risks of having colon, stomach and prostate cancer. Well, this is because carrots have carotenoid which is an antioxidant that strengthens your immune system and reduces your risks of developing cancer. According to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carrots need to be added to your everyday diet as this will help your immune system to fight various deadly diseases. Moreover, the study concluded that both orange and carrots can reduce your risks of cardiovascular diseases as well as cancer.
2. Reduces Cholesterol in Blood:
Traditionally speaking, the primary cause of any heart disease is cholesterol in your blood and consuming carrots will keep you safe from getting hitched with cholesterol. The rich source of fibre that is found in carrots is usually soluble fibre which is the primary reason for lowering down cholesterol in your blood. All you need to do is to add carrots to your everyday diet and prevent yourself from the risks of developing cholesterol related problems.
3. Aids in Weight loss:
If you are a diet enthusiast and prefer losing out weight most often, you need to add carrots on your regular diet. This is because carrots are rich in fibre that takes longer to digest and as a result this makes you feel full most often. This will also prevent you from snacking on fatty foods.
4. Helps in Good Vision:
If you are suffering from bad eyesight, then carrots can help improve your state of vision. It has been considered as a full-proof remedy that can save you from bad eyesight. This can also help you see better in the dark. Moreover, the substance that makes carrots aid good eyesight is that it is rich in lycopene and lutein including vitamin A.
5. Ensures Normal Bowel Movements And Digestion:
The high amounts of dietary fibre in carrots aids in good digestion and ensure that you have normal stools. Fibre makes your stool bulky and as a result, this will help you pass healthy and normal stools. Say goodbye to constipation and yes to carrots.
6. Carrots are Good For Your Skin:
Just as the skin of the carrot is red and shiny, consuming carrots will give your skin a radiant glowing texture. Not just that your skin will benefit from eating a carrot, but your nails too. This because carrots have high amounts of silicon content in their root that helps maintain healthy nails and skin. In order to get the best nutrients out of carrots, you need to consume them raw.
7. A Good Boost for Your Immunity:
Carrots are a good boost for your immunity as they are rich in antioxidants, vitamin K and B6. All of these factors contribute to a stronger nervous system, better bone health and higher brain power. The antioxidants in the vegetable protect the body from harmful bacteria, inflammation and viruses that can be deadly. Thus, all of these put together constitute a better and stronger immune system that can prevent you from a bastion of diseases.
Benefits of Drinking Carrot Juice:
Well if eating carrots can be good for your body, there are many ways in which you can consume this in liquid form. Drinking carrot juice is good for expecting mothers because carrot juice is loaded with calcium, potassium, vitamin A and magnesium that helps the fetus develop stronger bones, thus preventing birth defects. Carrot juice is said to boost your immune system that will reduce your risks of having an infection. Here are some more health benefits of drinking carrot juice.
1. At Night:
Carrot juice may have loads of beta-carotene that is responsible for preventing heart diseases, but there are certain timings that you need to follow while drinking it. Carrot juice can be consumed in the mornings and afternoon. This is because it energises you and it must be consumed during the day and during the night or before you reside to bed.
If carrot juice is consumed every day, this may help strengthen your immune system and develop your physical life. If consumed daily, this will help fight infections as it contains antioxidants. Also, it may help in preventing cell damage, inflammation and other types of bad bacteria that are responsible for ill health.
3. Empty Stomach:
Well, it is advised that you drink your glass of fresh carrot juice on empty stomach too because it is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that help you feel full after consuming it. This means you won’t be able to snack on all those fatty foods if you drink a glass of carrot juice before you have your breakfast. Also, you can prefer mixing some beetroot juice along with some carrot juice as this will also aid in curing kidney and gallbladder problems including gout.
4. Pregnancy Women:
Carrots and other vegetables are good to consume during pregnancy as this will aid in fetus development and strengthen bones of the fetus. Vitamin A has been critical for the development of the fetus’s eyes, organs and bones. Filled with a high source of vitamin B6 and fibre, this root vegetable can transform your life if consumed in moderation.
Healthy Carrot Recipes:
Well, you must be wondering so what if a carrot can be healthy and that what dish would you cook using carrots? There are many dishes that can be cooked using this root vegetable. Ranging from sweets to toppings on delicious curries, this vegetable has loads of benefits that can do well for you and your family.
1. Carrot Soup:
Cook yourself a bowl of carrot soup and keep yourself warm and healthy during the winter. Before we get into how this particular soup is prepared, here are some ingredients that you will need.
Make sure that you have all the ingredients ready before you ignite your hob.
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil/olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 chopped cloves, garlic and onions
- 5 neatly chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Preparation of Carrot Soup:
Once you have got all your ingredients, let’s get started with preparing your fresh and healthy carrot soup.
- Firstly, you need to add the butter onto a pan and heat it until it melts.
- Next, add onions and celery and stir it occasionally for about 6 minutes.
- Once this is done, add the garlic and parsley and stir it for another 10 seconds.
- Now you need to add the carrots and add some water. (Put the flame on high). Make sure that it cooks for 25 minutes until it becomes very tender.
- After 25 minutes, add some salt and pepper to the dish and cook for another 5 minutes. Now your tasty and healthy carrot soup is ready to be eaten.
2. Carrot Halwa:
Carrot halwa is that one sweet that has been used in most weddings because of it jaw-dropping sweetening taste over your taste buds.
Before you get your cup of tasty and yummy carrot halwa, here are some ingredients you will need to have.
- 1 Kg of carrots
- ½ litre of milk
- 7 tablespoons of ghee
- 7 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of almonds
- 2 tablespoon of neatly chopped dates
Preparation for Carrot Halwa:
Once you have got all your ingredients ready, here is how you prepare yourself a cup of tasty carrot halwa.
- Firstly, you will have to grate the carrots
- Add some cardamom to milk and let it evaporate and come to boil
- Take a separate pan and add ghee and the carrot to it and heat until the ghee melts
- Once this is done, you need to add the cardamom milk to the ghee and carrot and heat it for not more than 15 minutes.
- Once the halwa turns reddish in colour it is understood that you carrot halwa is ready to be served.
- You can top it up with some dried nuts to give it flavour.
3. Carrot Cake:
Carrot cake can be delicious and mouthwatering. Well, you can not do this at home in a more simple manner. Here is how you can get this done.
Before you ever think of making your delicious carrot cake, here is what you will need at first.
- 400 grams of sugar
- 3 large size carrots that are grated
- 1 Chopped walnut
- 1 small cup of raisins
- 1 and a half teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 352 grams of flour
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Half a cup of finely chopped pineapple
- 250 grams of vegetable oil
Preparation of Carrot Cake:
Now that you have all your ingredients ready, here are some simple tips you need to keep in mind while preparing this tasty dish.
- Firstly, you need to heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Next, you will have to beat the sugar, vanilla, oil and eggs until the mix turns light yellow.
- Take a separate dish and add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Once this is done, you need to grind all of it in mixer on low speed.
- Then add the mix to a round cake pan and add the pineapple, carrots, nuts and raisins to it.
- Now you need to place this in the oven and bake it for 60 minutes after which your carrot cake is ready. Keep it aside once it has been taken out of the oven.
4. Carrot Chips:
Need something crunchy to munch on while watching those television shows with your family? Well, why worry when you can make yourself a plate of crunchy and munchy tasty carrot chips.
Here are some of the ingredients that you will need before you ever think of frying those crunchy carrot chips.
- 3 medium carrots
- Half teaspoon of olive oil/cooking oil
- ⅛ teaspoons of salt
Preparation of Carrot Chips:
Now that you have all your ingredients ready, here are some simple tips to keep in mind while getting your carrot chips done
- Firstly, you will have to heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the carrots and then gently peel them.
- Once you are done peeling them, place the peeled carrots aside on a plate.
- Then you will have to place them in the oven and watch them burn and cook for not more than 20 minutes.
You must be wondering that homemade cookies are tough to prepare and that getting them out would save you time and money. Well, here are some ways to make yourself and your family some tasty carrot cookies.
Here is what you would require before you bake those yummy cookies.
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder; and
- Half teaspoon of salt
Now that you have all of your ingredients ready, let’s get started with preparing your tasty carrot cookies.
- Firstly, take a bowl and add the sugar, eggs and carrots. You will have to stir well for 5 minutes.
- Next, you need to add the flour, salt and the baking soda to the mixture of carrots.
- Now that the batter is ready, you need to lay butter paper onto an oven pan and drop rounded biscuit like shapes onto the butter paper.
- Next, you will have to place the pan into the oven and heat it for 400 degrees. This is approximately for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, you will have to take the pan off the oven and keep it aside to cool. Finally, your carrot cookies are ready to be munched.
Now that you have understood the health benefits including simple homemade recipes of carrots, here are some frequently asked questions that will shed some more light into the topic. Of Course, carrots are said to do good for your health, but there are also some potential risks associated with this root-based vegetable.
1. What and how is carrot allergy caused?
When certain proteins in certain types of fruits and vegetables cause a sort of allergic reaction, it is called a carrot allergy. In a more broader sense, when certain vegetable and fruit proteins cause allergies to a person’s body condition, it can be identified as a carrot allergy. Well, now you must be wondering as to how does this take place? When carrots are grown on soil that is contaminated, this can cause severe health issues and you may end up suffering from carrot allergy.
2. Is eating carrots daily good for you?
Yes, consuming carrots every day are good for you, probably it must be consumed in moderation. Since carrots contain a high source of vitamin A and antioxidants it can prevent you from a load of diseases such as heart diseases and even certain types of cancer such as colon and prostate cancer. This vegetable can be added to your everyday diet, but consuming it during the day is advised than before you go to bed.
3. Are carrots good for your liver?
Yes, carrots are good for your liver such that they have a rich source of beta-carotene and flavonoids that help keep the liver functioning better and healthy. The presence of vitamin A in this vegetable helps prevent diseases in the digestive tract and thereby helps it cleanse the liver and the rest of the body.
4. What happens if I eat too many carrots?
You need to keep in mind that excessive consumption of carrots can cause skin discolouration. This is because carrots contain beta-carotene which is responsible for making the skin of the carrot bright orange. So, remember that if this is consumed in excess, you might be prone to a deadly skin condition.
If you are a diet enthusiast, then you need to add this vegetable to your everyday diet. Its high source of antioxidants helps boost your immune system and prevent you from many harmful diseases that can be life-threatening. So, consuming it in the form of liquid or raw can both benefit your health and body. But you need to keep in mind that this root-based vegetable needs to be consumed in moderation. So live healthy and stay fit!