Eggs have been in the limelight of diet discussions for quite a long time. The nutritional quality of eggs is non-debatable. However, in the recent year’s egg has been receiving a lot of criticism due to its high cholesterol content. An egg is almost a necessity for people who are trying to gain muscle mass in the gym. The rich protein content of egg makes it almost irreplaceable.
The ease of cooking an egg and the benevolent taste it delivers makes it one of the most consumed food items around the world. The versatility of the dishes that can be prepared using eggs also makes it close to a staple ingredient in many tasty dishes. The use of eggs in breakfast, lunch and dinner can be attributed to the high calories it delivers within a short span of time. In this article, we will be discussing the health benefits along with the nutritional facts and recipes of eggs.
- Health Benefits of Egg:
- 1. Helps in Building Strong Muscles:
- 2. Increases Brain Functionality:
- 3. Decreases Hunger Pangs Between Meals:
- 4. Does not Increase Cholesterol:
- 5. Helps in Protecting Your Eyes:
- 6. Increases the Health of Conceived Babies:
- 7. Increases Bone Health:
- 8. Eggs Offer High Quality Protein:
- 9. Helps in Maintaining a Better Skin:
- 10. Increases Cardiac Health:
- Benefits of Eating Egg White:
- Nutrient Chart of Egg White:
- Nutritional Facts of Eggs:
- Quick and Easy Recipes With Eggs:
Health Benefits of Egg:
The benefits of an egg are manifold. Besides being very fulfilling and tasty, eggs are also packed with a bunch of nutrients that can be highly beneficial for your overall health. In the below section we will be discussing some of the benefits that your body can receive by including eggs in your daily diet.
1. Helps in Building Strong Muscles:
The rich amount of protein in eggs makes sure that the loss of muscle cell is reduced to a lower rate and the amount of gain is also increased. The protein in the eggs helps to increase the metabolism of the muscle cells and aids in the contribution of more muscle cells helping you to gain mass sooner. Most people who go to the gym make sure that they have a healthy amount of eggs and egg dishes included in their daily diet. Eggs also have the ability to reduce the deposition of bad fat in the body and thereby helps in reducing weight.
2. Increases Brain Functionality:
The egg is a very good source of many vitamins and nutrients. Eggs are highly rich in all the Vitamin B’s which are very essential for the smooth functioning of the brain cells and the nervous system. The signalling and the overall metabolism of the brain can be highly benefited by making sure that you consume at least an egg every day. With increased brain functionality you will be able to observe changes such as increased memory and logical reasoning capacity. The presence of choline in eggs makes it extremely advantageous to the smooth functioning of the brain and the overall metabolism of the body. So, it’s highly advisable that you include eggs in your daily diet.
3. Decreases Hunger Pangs Between Meals:
Eggs can make you feel full for a long time. The satiety content of eggs is extremely high and this is one of the reason it’s been chosen as the favourite breakfast food for many around the world. It’s estimated that one large egg can provide you with about 6 grams of good protein and almost all the essential nutrients required to make your day smooth. The lack of vitamin C in eggs are the reason why most western breakfast cuisines have an addition of citrus fruit or fruit juices with it. Added with a good whole grain supplement this is the perfect recipe for breakfast as it will help keep your body running in extremely challenging atmospheres.
4. Does not Increase Cholesterol:
A single egg contains about 210 milligrams of cholesterol. The egg yolk is highly rich in cholesterol which gained eggs a lot of bad press in the nineties. Since then various research has found out that the inclusion of eggs in your diet will not increase the risk of heart diseases.
Numerous studies concluded that trans-fat and saturated fat has comparatively much higher effects on your coronary health when compared to eggs. The researchers suggested that the egg should be recognised for being a very good and affordable source of protein and not an additive factor to the worsening of coronary health.
5. Helps in Protecting Your Eyes:
Including eggs in your diet can help in protecting your eyes from a lot of unwanted visual conditions. Research has found that including eggs in your diet can reduce the chances of cataracts by almost 20 per cent and also reduce the chances of degenerative lens conditions which are the leading cause for the blindness as patients age.
Eggs are highly rich in antioxidant such as lutein and zeaxanthin which are very helpful in maintaining your eyes and protecting it from the unsolicited conditions that usually affects your eyesight as you age.
6. Increases the Health of Conceived Babies:
Including eggs in the daily diet of pregnant women can be very beneficial for the overall health of the mother and the children. The presence of choline in eggs help in the development of the fetus’s brain and memory and aids in the birth of a healthy child. In a study conducted by the University of Rochester Medical Center, it was shown that consuming choline via pregnancy or via the lactation can increase the child’s immunity towards stress-induced diseases. The consumption of choline leads to the production of cortisol which can reduce the chance of developing chronic illnesses such as hypertension.
7. Increases Bone Health:
Eggs are a very good source of vitamin D which is otherwise found in nature in the natural sunshine. The need for vitamin D is paramount in maintaining good bone health. The need for vitamin D can be completely satisfied by including eggs in your diet. Eggs are also a very good source for calcium which can help in making your bones stronger and sturdier.
8. Eggs Offer High Quality Protein:
Proteins are considered to be the building blocks for the body. The need for proteins is highly satisfied by including at least one boiled egg in your diet. If you are suffering from conditions such as osteoporosis the inclusion of eggs in your daily diet can help in improving the condition of your bones and muscles. The effect of eggs in people who are trying to gain muscle mass is very visible.
9. Helps in Maintaining a Better Skin:
There are a lot of vitamins and minerals in eggs that can help in maintaining your skin. The inclusion of eggs in your diet can also help in increasing the immunity of your body which will be clearly visible in the skin. If you are a person conscious of your skin tone then including eggs in your diet can help in maintaining good overall skin health.
10. Increases Cardiac Health:
Adding eggs to your daily diet can help a lot in increasing your overall cardiac health. The choline that is present in eggs plays an important role in the breakdown of amino acids and prevents the build-up of bad cholesterol in your arteries. This can be highly beneficial in the improvement of your overall cardiac health.
Benefits of Eating Egg White:
Eating egg whites is a very good way of including a lot of essential nutrients and vitamins in your body without having the risk of being affected by cardiovascular conditions. Once the yolk is removed from the egg there is no presence of cholesterol in the egg whites. This makes egg white a very viable alternative for people who suffer from cholesterol to consume essential nutrients and vitamins.
The increased amount of protein which is present in the eggs makes it top the chart for calorie-rich foods. However, once the yolk is removed the egg whites also do not fail to deliver a consistent amount of low-fat protein and essential amount of vitamins. The inclusion of vitamin-rich egg whites will also help in reducing the hunger pangs between meals by making you feel fuller.
There are many other benefits of eating egg whites, the high amount of potassium it contains will help in the delivering a lower blood pressure and eliminates the chances of you being affected by conditions such as hypertension. Egg whites are also a very good source of low-calorie diet and can help a lot in reducing weight, this is almost a boon to people who are trying to reduce weight but still feels hungry most of the time.
In the below chart you can find the various vitamins and nutrients that are contained in about a 100 grams of egg white.
Nutrient Chart of Egg White:
[table id=145 /]
Nutritional Facts of Eggs:
There are various nutrients and vitamins in eggs that are highly beneficial for a person’s overall health. The list of micro and macronutrients in eggs are almost non-comparable to any other single food source. In the below section we will discuss some of the key nutrients that are available in boiled chicken eggs and how they can benefit your body.
Choline is one of the most beneficial nutrients that are present in eggs. Various research has shown that choline affects the overall growth and the cognitive development in infants and school going kids. Choline has a very good effect in maintaining the overall health of the infant by increasing immunity and also by improving memory and overall health.
Research has also shown that consuming choline through amniotic fluids or via lactation can help in the infant’s resistance towards stress-related illnesses such as hypertension. The effects are made possible by the secretion of cortisol which helps in a wide range in securing the health and improving the overall functioning of the brain and the nervous system.
2. Lutein and Zeaxanthin:
These are both highly beneficial antioxidants which help a lot in ensuring the overall health of your eyes. Eye problems are common as a person ages, researches and studies over the past have shown that the inclusion of eggs in your daily diet can help a lot in reducing the chances of developing eye related issues in the future.
There are many studies that confounded that regular intake of eggs and egg-based dishes can reduce the chances of developing cataract by almost 20 per cent. Other eye conditions that are caused due to the gradual degeneration of the lens and the tissues that enables vision can also be reduced by antioxidants such as Lutein and Zeaxanthin.
3. Omega – 3 Fatty Acids:
Omega 3 fatty acids are highly beneficial in ensuring good cardiac health. Eggs from hen which are raised on omega 3 rich feed naturally contain a high amount of omega 3 fatty acids. This is a very important nutrient as this helps in the breaking down of triglycerides in the bloodstream and thereby reduces the chances for developing cardiac issues.
Pastured eggs are the best option for reducing the number of triglycerides in blood by a high margin. It’s very beneficial for people who are suffering from heart-related conditions and still craves for tasty and fulfilling food.
Quick and Easy Recipes With Eggs:
The tasty and yummy eggs can be modulated to form a variety of dishes that can be heavenly for your taste buds. Besides being extremely healthy, eggs can also help you feel fuller for a longer duration and thereby effectively help in weight loss. In the below section we will be discussing some of the easiest and quick recipes that can be used to maintain a healthy an egg diet.
Egg Masala (Cooking time – 40 minutes):
Egg Masala is an Indian version of egg curry cooked with a lot of love. Follow the steps below to make a yummy serving of egg masala.
- Boil the eggs
- Make the spice paste by mixing ingredients together ( chilli, coriander, cumin and turmeric powders. Ginger-Garlic paste and salt according to taste)
- Cover, eggs which are boiled in the mixture and deep fry
- Slit the spiced eggs into two equal halves
- Add cumin along with green chilli, ginger, hing, onions and garlic into the oil in a heated pan
- Saute until the onions turn yellowish brown. Now add the turmeric, red chilli, cumin and coriander powders along with salt.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and wait till oil is completely used, add a little water to deglaze the masala.
- Add the eggs that are spiced to the masala and cover it and leave to cook for a few minutes.
- Add tadka and garnish.
[table id=146 /]
Egg Chat (Cooking Time – 20 Minutes):
Egg chat is an Indian version of egg salad. It’s very easy to prepare if you follow the below steps.
- Add ketchup, tomato chilli sauce, lemon juice, green chilli, roasted cumin, salt and tamarind extract into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Split boiled eggs into two equal halves and place them in a plate, add the above mix on top of the eggs
- Garnish with spring onions, boondi and chat/garam masala.
[table id=147 /]
Garlic Egg Fried Rice (Cooking Time – 40 Minutes):
This is one of the favourite dishes around the world. For people who love fried rice, adding some eggs to it can only make it tastier.
- Add chopped garlic into the oil in a heated pan, saute until it turns brownish.
- Add spring onions, chopped red chilli and green chilli with salt and saute.
- Break eggs in the pan and stir until scrambled.
- Add steamed rice to the mix and stir gently while topping with soya sauce.
- Add black pepper powder and salt and stir gently
- Stir-fry for a minute and add a little bit more spring onions on top.
[table id=148 /]
Egg Biryani (Cooking Time – 50 Minutes):
Imagine how tasty it will be when two best tasty dishes are combined. That is exactly what egg biryani offers. Follow the below steps to prepare some yummy egg biryani.
- Boil four eggs and remove the shell
- Add oil into a large pan and heat it, now add the spices ( Bay leaf, clove, cinnamon, peppercorn)
- Now add sliced onions, slit green chillies and ginger garlic paste and fry until the onions turn brown.
- Break two eggs in the pan and stir until scrambled
- Add boiled and drained basmati rice into the pan and stir gently until fried. Add salt to taste.
- Add the four boiled eggs into the mixture along with four cups of water.
- Cook the rice until it’s half done, then add pulao masala with a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Cover and wait until the water evaporates, then garnish the tasty egg biryani with some coriander leaves.
[table id=149 /]
Tomato Egg Curry (Cooking Time – 35 minutes):
Tomatoes, when mixed with anything, delivers a great taste and texture, the case is no different with eggs. Follow the below steps to prepare a yummy serving of tomato egg curry.
- Add sliced onion into oil in a heated pan and fry until it turns golden.
- Add sliced tomatoes along with cumin and turmeric powder and add salt according to taste.
- Fry the mixture until the tomatoes are made into a paste and water is evaporated.
- Add boiled eggs along with cilantro and some sliced green chillies and cook for a while until the flavour is absorbed by the eggs
[table id=150 /]
Eggs are highly beneficial for your overall health besides being extremely tasty. The versatility of the dishes prepared using eggs can also ensure that you will never get bored with the dish. Try and include some eggs and egg whites into your daily diet and have a healthy life ahead.
Now that you have a clear picture as to how much eggs are beneficial for your health let us discuss some of the most frequently asked questions related to eggs and health.
1. Is eating eggs every day a bad habit?
Eating eggs every day cannot be defined as a bad habit. But like every other foods egg must be also consumed in moderation. The calorie and cholesterol content in eggs are on the higher side so it’s very essential to limit yourself from eating a lot of eggs with the yolks every day.
2. Are eggs beneficial to my body?
Yes, eggs are highly beneficial to your body when consumed in moderation. Eggs contain a lot of calories which can make you feel full for long durations. There are also various minerals and nutrients in eggs that can help improve your overall health.
3. Are eggs unhealthy?
No, eggs are definitely not unhealthy. Eggs are in fact one of the best sources of lean protein and contain a lot of vitamins and nutrients that can help fight your health problems throughout the day.