Four Best Cancer Treatment Hospitals in Mumbai
Cancer is recognised as one of the leading causes of death in the modern world and although these figures are lower in India compared to the rest of the world, they are rising fast. In the fight against cancer, it is vital to have access to the very best facilities and fortunately, India has some excellent cancer treatment hospitals that are available for patients from all walks of life. In particular, Mumbai can boast a number of medical facilities that specialise in dealing with cancer and here we look at the top four a little closer. Although they may seem to be quite different from each other, these four lifesaving establishments are connected by the common enemy known as cancer. But first, we’ll talk a little about cancer in India and look at how the country is doing what it can to protect its’ citizens from this terrible disease.
About cancer in India
As we’ve mentioned earlier, the rates per capita for cancer patients in India is lower than many countries, particularly in the western world but that may not be the case for long. Currently, more and more of the rural population are starting to swap their country lifestyle for the bright lights of the big city. This opens new doors for health issues. Life expectancy increases and drastic changes in daily routines can both increase the chances of cancer rearing its ugly head. Currently, lung cancer and prostate cancer rates in India are amongst the lowest in the world but oral and oesophageal cancer rates are higher than most other countries. Because of this, the Indian Council of Medical Research has worked hard with the Government to upgrade the status of cancer to that of a notifiable disease. The only way to slow down this alarming increase is by having the best facilities and providing specialist training to your medical staff. By far, India has stepped up to the plate on both counts and Mumbai seems to be leading the race as far as top notch cancer treatment and research facilities are concerned. Let’s look at the four best cancer treatment hospitals in Mumbai.
Also known as the Tata Memorial Centre, this cancer specialist hospital was originally founded in 1941. It is located in the Parel area of Mumbai and specialises in many areas of cancer prevention and treatment. Tata Memorial Hospital offers its expert cancer treatment and preventative services to more than 30,000 new patients on an annual basis and around 60 % of these are coming for primary care treatment. One of the areas that Tata Memorial Hospital specialises in is preventative oncology. It is vital to identify and deal with cancer as early as possible because relevant treatment can work effectively only with early detection. Their department was set up in 1993 and also offers specialist education services for patients and professional medical staff. It is recognised all over the world as one of the leading cancer prevention knowledge givers; all thanks to the combination of determination and innovative efforts. In India, there are typically around 2.5 million cases of cancer in 2017 and of those, more than 70% sadly receive a diagnosis in the later stages. This can make the survival chances of the patient fairly low and it is why this type of research is so very important. The Digital Library at the Tata Memorial Hospital is an incredible resource that has been in existence since 2000. This connects the hospital with the world’s leading cancer knowledge bases and is accessed by all staff members as well as academic establishments all over India. It’s just one example of how the Tata Memorial Centre operates for the greater good and why being digitally connected is so vital in the fight against cancer.
The P.D. Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre is primarily known as a tertiary care and multi-specialty hospital in the Mahan area of Mumbai. It was originally founded back in 1951 and currently offers just over 400 beds to its patients. For many people, the hospital is the best in Mumbai and quite possibly the whole of India. The reputation is well deserved as for cancer patients, it is an excellent facility that offers both support and treatment at a high standard. The vision of the P.D. Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre is ‘to deliver quality healthcare’. Although this is no mean feat, they have absolutely achieved this objective many times over. The founder of the hospital was Shri P.D. Hinduja and his legacy lives on and will continue doing do for a very long time. The founder was a renowned philanthropist and his beliefs were a large part of the way that the hospital operates even today. Providing millions of Indians with free healthcare and combining this with first calls medical services, the P.D. Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre is an inspiration to hospitals all over the world, not just India. Being a multi-specialty hospital, the P.D. Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre offers a myriad of treatments and services but their cancer specialists are amongst the best in the country. Cancer support services and departments include:
- Breast Cancer – According to stats, over 155,000 women in India were diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015. This terrible disease is on the rise and the P.D. Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre are doing all that they can to fight against breast cancer.
- Cancer Chemotherapy – The P.D. Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre’s oncology specialists are up to date with the very latest technology as far as chemotherapy treatments are concerned. Patient safety and comfort are their objectives and the dedicated team of medical staff are always extremely efficient as far as this vital treatment service is concerned.
- Cancer Radiation Therapy – The P.D. Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre has a state of the art 3D-CRT system that includes an Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy unit.
- Cancer Surgery – When surgery is the only solution for cancer, the P.D. Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre has some of the very best facilities and trained surgeons available. They specialise in many areas of cancer and will make the whole procedure as painless and effective as they possibly can.
Established in early 2008, the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute is right up there with the very best multi-specialty facilities in the whole of the country. Based in the Versova area of Mumbai, the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute has 750 beds for patients and offers tertiary care as well as cancer support services that are renowned all over India. The original project that led to the launch of the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute was in 1999 and Dr. Nitu Mandke was the force behind the whole ideology. The name of the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute was inspired by the wife of the founder of the Reliance group of companies. The Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute’s Centre for Cancer has a high level of expertise that rivals any similar facility in the world. Their range of cancer care includes the following clinics and services:
- Pain and Palliative Care – Dealing with the high level of pain that cancer often brings to the table can be very challenging indeed and the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute invest so much of their resources into this arena. In fact, no less than the European Society of medical oncology have a huge respect for the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute.
- Bone Marrow Transplant – This plays an important part of cancer therapy and the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute perform this type of surgery for a number of cancer strains.
- Cancer Surgery – Not only do the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute offer the full range of cancer surgery for their patients, they also facilitate the treatment in a multi-modality format.
- Chemotherapy – This is sometimes painful yet effective treatment uses drugs to destroy those malignant cancer cells that need to be kept in check. The Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute is aimed towards the outpatient range of services and is monitored closely throughout.
- Radiation Therapy – Using high energy doses of X-rays to help target parts of the body that are affected by cancer, radiation therapy is usually painless and very effective.
The Surya Hospital is based in the Santacruz West area of Mumbai and was founded in 1985. Their aim was to offer the people of Mumbai and surrounding areas quality low-cost medical services without any sacrifice in standards. It started off as a small 22 bed hospital facility that has blossomed into a fully functional high-tech hospital that offers a myriad of services including some of the very best cancer care in the country. Ion their own words they have ‘set a benchmark in Neonatal Intensive Care, Paediatric Health Care’ and many other areas. However, here we are looking at how the Surya Hospital has set many standards for their cancer treatments. These include a mammography service that has the very latest technology on hand to look into potential breast cancer cases. The Surya Hospital also specialises in a Mother & Child range of services that has won numerous awards in the medical arena. Their paediatric healthcare programs are also well known even outside India because of the superb standards that they continue to set.
So there you have it, 4 excellent cancer hospitals that are based in the Indian city of Mumbai. We’ve discussed their merits in some depth and we think that you will agree that they are all doing a superb job in the war against cancer. As those terrible statistics continue to move in the wrong direction, it is down to these and other Indian medical establishments to do their utmost to keep those figures in check.