1Grape is that one jumbly little fruit that has been loved by many and has also been added to most foods. From red coloured grapes to green ones, you name it, this fruit comes in different forms and colours. Today we have grape pulp juice and wine that adds little more health benefits. Grapes were first cultivated 8000 years ago in the Middle East. Currently, there are 72 million tons of grapes that are cultivated annually worldwide.
This makes it to 7.2 trillion gallons of wine that have been produced yearly. So, why is it that grapes were consumed as a fruit by our ancestors? Well, this is because our ancestors knew of its health benefits of curbing heart diseases, constipation, high blood pressure and prevention of cancer. In simple terms, grapes have high sources of vitamins and antioxidants that help your body prevent many diseases.
Taking a bite of a crunchy grape can leave your taste buds with a juicy sweet flavour of goodness that will want you craving for more. There are some types of grapes that come with seeds that are edible in nature. Similarly, there are seedless grapes that may be easier to eat, but grapes with seeds are said to be sweeter than that of seedless grapes. The best part about grapes is that it is used to make wine that is good for your body. However, there are many more facts about grapes that you need to know.
- Must Know Facts About Grapes:
- Nutrition Facts About Grapes:
- Health Benefits of Grapes:
- 1. Grapes Prevent Cancer:
- 2. Grapes Prevent Heart Diseases:
- 3. Grapes Reduce Blood Pressure:
- 4. Grapes Resolves Constipation:
- 5. Reduces Risk of Type 2 Diabetes:
- 6. Grapes Prevent Eye Diseases:
- 7. Help Boost Brain Power:
- 8. Grapes are Rich in Polyphenols:
- 9. Grapes have Natural Anti-ageing Capabilities:
- 10. Grapes Prevent Metabolic Syndrome:
- Benefits of Grape Juice for Skin, Hair, and Health:
- Are Grapes Safe to Eat During Pregnancy?
- List of Grapes Varieties and Types:
- Grape Recipes:
- Homemade Wine using Grape Juice:
- Origin and Production:
- News on Grapes:
Must Know Facts About Grapes:
Of course, grapes are said to be very good for your health, but there are some must-know facts about this amazing fruit. Here some simple facts about grapes.
- The average human consumes 3.6 kgs of grapes a year.
- The oldest Vineyard in America is located in North Carolina and which is 400 years old.
- Grapes are free of fat and low in calories.
- As grapes ripen, you will find them turning into black, red and green.
- Dried grapes contain 15% of water.
- The wine was first produced in 5000 BC
- Nitric acid found in grapes can prevent you from heart-related problems, and prevent you from blood clots.
- Grapes help in curing migraine, kidney problems, fatigue, asthma and indigestion.
- Grapes keep you filled because they consist of 80% water and this makes it a filling snack.
- One acre of grapes is said to produce 15000 glasses of wine.
- Grapes come under the family of berries.
- Botanical grapes fall under the category of berries
- In the United States, the grape industry contributes to $125 billion dollars annually.
- 25% of fresh table grapes in the US are usually imported from Chile.
- Grapes can prevent you from having cancer because of its resveratrol substance found in its seeds and skin.
Nutrition Facts About Grapes:
Well, everyone knows that grapes are good, but the question is in what way and how? There are a number of nutrients that grapes have that are good for you. So here are some nutritional facts that you need to know about grapes.
[table id=173 /]
Grapes come loaded with huge nutrients and vitamins that make this 80% watery berry a healthy miracle. According to many diet experts, grapes must be added to your daily diet as this can help your skin, hair and your overall health. However, there are several studies that have stated figured that grapes can prevent cancer.
This is why our ancestors had cultivated this so-called berry way before they even knew about rice and wheat. Moreover, grapes can be traced back to 6000 to 8000 B.C in time. It is primarily used to make wine, juice, jam, raisins and grape seed oil.
Health Benefits of Grapes:
While grapes are very beneficial for your health, then you need to know in what specific way that this can benefit you. Here are some of the striking health benefits of grapes.
1. Grapes Prevent Cancer:
Grapes contain polyphenols, an antioxidant that prevents you from developing cancer. these antioxidants are anti-inflammatory in nature and it is found in the skin of the grapes. There have been studies that indicate the fact that antioxidants have prevented the growth of tumours in the stomach, breast, skin and kidneys. However, there was another study that stated that drinking red wine can reduce your risks of developing cancer only if this is consumed in moderation.
2. Grapes Prevent Heart Diseases:
Grapes contain a substance called resveratrol that reduces your risks of developing any sort of heart diseases and cholesterol. This substance can also prevent you from any sort of cardiovascular diseases and platelet build-up and reduces blood pressure and irregular heart rhythms.
3. Grapes Reduce Blood Pressure:
Grapes consists of higher levels of potassium that help reduce sodium in your diet and thereby helps in reducing blood pressure. So, if you are suffering from high blood pressure then you need to add grapes to your regular diet and this will help you stabilize your high blood pressure. This is a natural substitute for western medication. Also, keep in mind that you need to consult your doctor about the number of grapes you need to consume. Another good part about grapes is that it has a good source of fibre that also helps in reducing blood pressure levels.
4. Grapes Resolves Constipation:
Well, if grapes can aid in reducing blood pressure, then it surely does in terms of resolving constipation. Grapes contain water and a good source of fibre that will keep you hydrated most times. So you don’t have to be worried about getting dehydrated. Also, grapes regulate bowel movements that thereby helps in relieving constipation. So, if you are suffering from constipation, all you need to do is to consume grapes.
5. Reduces Risk of Type 2 Diabetes:
According to a study in 2013, people who consumed fruits like grapes, blueberries, apples and pears had 7% lower risks of developing type 2 diabetes. This also includes the fact that these juices must be consumed 3 times a day. Diabetes can be seen as a worldwide spread problem that most people face and you must be very lucky not to have it.
There are ways in which you can prevent this disease from getting to you and one such way is by adding grapes to your everyday diet. In some cases, people question the very essence of grapes such that most claim that it is so sweet that this fruit may be the reason that diabetes is in existence or is it just the fact that it is sold to spread diabetes and increase its very existence. Well, the answer to this question lies in the hands of the doctor you consult.
So, before you ever opt to consume grapes for the purpose of reducing risks of diabetes, then it is advised that you seek advice from a doctor at the earliest.
6. Grapes Prevent Eye Diseases:
There are many plant-based compounds found in grapes that can prevent you from the risks of developing eye problems and diseases. Consuming grapes will help protect your retina from damages. Now how could this be possible? Well, grapes are said to have resveratrol, which is a sort of liquid that helps protect your retina cells and your eye from ultraviolet light. It also helps in curbing other eye-related problems such as cataracts and diabetic eye problems.
7. Help Boost Brain Power:
The resveratrol content found in grapes not just prevents eye disease but also increases the flow of blood to your brain, thus boosting your memory power and mental responses. This fruit has been advised by many psychiatrists for those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. Due to heavy smoking, there will be the formation of plaque in your heart’s valves that lead to various heart diseases. However, you need to know that this plaque acts as a barricade for the flow of blood from your heart to various organs of your body. But the resveratrol content found in grapes can help remove plaques that can affect your brains health.
8. Grapes are Rich in Polyphenols:
Polyphenols are found in grapes and that gives the fruit its rich colour on the outside. These polyphenols are antioxidants that flush out the bad toxins from your body. It is the skin of the grape that has the highest content of polyphenol and consuming it will leave you having the highest rate of antioxidant abilities for your body. Polyphenols also help in fighting:
9. Grapes have Natural Anti-ageing Capabilities:
Resveratrol content in grapes also helps your genes from ageing, such that, it slows down the ageing factor of your cells. Grapes also have polyunsaturated fats (PFUA) that protects your skin from inflammation. There is one popular way of making your skin glow. All you need to do is to add some crushed grapes onto your skin and this will moisturise your dry skin and make it glow.
10. Grapes Prevent Metabolic Syndrome:
Metabolic syndrome refers to a group of diseases such as diabetes, diabetes, strokes and heart diseases according to the National Heart, Blood and Lung Institute 1. Metabolic syndrome leads to a number of risk factors such as:
- High blood sugar
- High blood pressure; and
- Larger waistline
However, in order to prevent the risks of having metabolic syndrome, adding grapes to your everyday diet will do the trick.
Benefits of Grape Juice for Skin, Hair, and Health:
When it comes to healthy juices, most people would feel that drinking “Limetta” (Mosambi) juice is the best advice. But, on the list of healthy natural fruit juices, grape juice is one among those other healthy juices that are filled with nutrition and natural beautifiers for your skin and hair.
1. Grape Juice for Skin:
Well, there are a lot of skin whitening and acne removal creams in the market that can work well for you. But you need to keep in mind that these are just temporary in nature and cause permanent damage to your skin in the long run or even make it look old. However, there is a natural hack to such problems. All you need to do is to prepare a homemade sweet grape hydrating facial cream and apply it on your face.
This will nourish your skin and help it glow and reduce acne. In order to prepare sweet grape hydrating facial cream, you will have to add chamomile to sugar cane juice. Once this is done, mash 6 to 8 black grapes and add it to the juice. You can add more grapes if you would like the paste to get thicker. Once the paste appears to be thick, apply it directly onto your neck and face and leave it to dry for 10 minutes, after which you will have to wash it away with some lukewarm water. However, this natural treatment for your skin will help it appear very young. Here are some of the benefits that grape juice would do to your skin.
- Makes your skin softer and adds glowing appeal
- Grapes help maintain your skin tone
- Grapes reduces skin scars
- Grapes act as natural sunscreen on your skin
- Grapes have anti-ageing components that prevent your skin cells from dying
2. Grape Juice for Hair:
If you are suffering from dandruff, then you may prefer using an anti-dandruff shampoo to get rid of it. An anti-dandruff shampoo will definitely wash way dandruff, but it may leave your hair dry that may lead to hair fall and breakage in the long run. But, there is a way to wash away dandruff naturally and all you need to do is to prepare a grape hair rinse wash. In simple terms, just mash about 20 grapes and add 1/3 cups of apple cider vinegar to it. Then wet your hair with some lukewarm water and apply it while your hair is wet. After applying it, you will have to let it dry for about 10 minutes and then rinse gently with some lukewarm water. This natural treatment will prevent hair fall, dryness and is a quick way to say goodbye to dandruff. Moreover, there are other ways in which grape juice is good for your hair.
- Helps bring a natural shine to your hair
- Natural anti-dandruff remedy
- Strengthens your hair and keeps it healthy
- Prevents hair loss
3. Grape Juice for Health:
Well, if there are numerous benefits of grape juice for your skin and hair, there are plenty for your entire body. Ranging from preventing type 2 diabetes to regulating blood sugar levels, this fruit has many more that are listed below.
- Grape juice is the best pain reliever for people suffering from a migraine.
- Grape juice is the best cure for indigestion
- It also boosts a person’s brain power
- It prevents many eye-related diseases
- Reduces your risk of having any heart diseases, kidney problems, asthma, viral infections and constipation.
Are Grapes Safe to Eat During Pregnancy?
Grapes are definitely a good fruit for all those expecting mothers. It is a fruit that grows during autumn and it contains merely 80% of water which is of high nutritional value for the mother. So what makes this fruit so special in term of its nutrients? The main nutrients found in the fruit are anthocyanin, linalool, nerol, tannin and flavour while it also comes packed with vitamin K, vitamin E and vitamin B that are usually present mostly in the skin and its seeds. Moreover, if you are planning to add grapes to your everyday diet while you are expecting, then you need to consume it in moderation.
1. Benefits of Eating Grapes During Pregnancy:
There is more than what an expecting mother can possibly get from consuming grapes during her pregnancy. There is much illness that grapes can do save an expecting mother from. Here are some of those benefits of eating grapes during pregnancy.
- It helps in easing cramps especially during times when a mother is pregnant.
- Sometimes expecting mothers may be prone to developing anaemia and consuming grapes will help reduce the risks of developing.
- An expecting mother may be prone to a lot of infections. Thus grapes can prevent one by increasing a mother’s immunity.
- Most pregnant women face constipation and as a result, consuming grapes will put an end to this. In simple terms, the high amounts of fibre that is found in grapes regulate bowel movements and aid a mother in passing normal stools.
- Sometimes an expecting mother can develop cholesterol problems and as a result, the high amount of resveratrol in the fruit will act as a reversible agent.
- The most important benefit for an expecting mother to have grapes is that it normalizes the nervous system. Most expecting mothers face psychological and emotional stress of being pregnant and this may have a direct impact on the baby. Thus consuming grapes in moderation helps normalise the mother’s nervous system.
2. Risks of Eating Grapes During Pregnancy:
You may be wondering if there are benefits of consuming grapes during pregnancy, then why are their risks involved in it. Well, the answer to such a thought is that anything and everything in the world does have positive and negative factors that surround their very existence. Though there are loads of benefits surrounding grapes, here are some of the negatives that can even cause heartburn. You need to keep in mind that consuming a lot of grapes can be dangerous and make you twice before you consume the fruit. However, here are some of the risks of overeating grapes during pregnancy.
- Causes heartburn
- Causes diarrhoea
- Leads to weight gain
Moreover, there are some other conditions in which an expecting mother is advised not to have grapes. Some of these factors include:
- When an expecting mother is overweight
- When an expecting mother is suffering from diabetes
- If the expecting mother is allergic to grapes
- If an expecting mother is suffering from a weak digestive system related to the digestive tract.
Also, an expecting mother must keep in mind that there is a particular manner in which grapes need to eaten and in particular situations. These are must-know facts that will help you limit your consumption of the fruit and make sure that you do not consume it in excess.
- If you are pregnant, then you must avoid eating grapes alongside dairy products, beer and mineral water.
- Do not consume grape wine during pregnancy because wine has alcoholic properties that can disrupt normal pregnancy.
- Do not consume grapes on an empty stomach
- Do not consume black grapes as they can cause digestive related problems for pregnant mothers. This is because of the fact that the skin of black grapes does not digest faster.
List of Grapes Varieties and Types:
Grapes have been cultivated domestically over thousands of years and it all began with trade in the Middle East. Also, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization, 70% of the grapes grown globally are used to make wine. Also, one interesting fact about grapes is that wine grapes are comparatively small that that of table grapes and do have seeds in them. Popularly known, there are two major varieties of grapes such as red and black. Under these two categories, there are multiple sub-categories of grapes. Let’s understand the different types of grapes along with their uses.
1. Concord Grapes:
This breed in grapes was first developed in Concord, Massachusetts and began mass producing it in 1854. Since then it has been the most widely used grape in the United States. Using this variety of grape, Thomas Welch prepared the world’s first grape juice in 1989 which was 100% pure grape juice.
2. Sweet Jubilee Grapes:
This variety is one among the largest grape that appears to be extra large tightly bunched in clusters. It appears to be so big that you can slice it like cutting an apple. This is usually grown in Central California.
3. Kyoho Grapes:
Well, if you think that sweet jubilee grapes are big in size, then you need to know about the Japanese grapes called Kyoho. This fruit is as big as plum and was bred during the 1930s. This has been served in deserts and mixed in cocktails in Japan. Kyoho is a Japanese word given to this fruit because it is said to have originated in Mount Fuji. It is also called as the giant-mountain grape.
4. Cotton Candy Grapes:
The reason as to why this variety of grapes is called cotton candy is not because of the way they look or the way they taste. Instead, popping just one cotton candy grape in your mouth will make you feel as though you are in a family fair. They taste slightly like cotton candy but more of a grape taste that dominates your taste buds. In simple terms, this grape tastes like cotton candy in the form of grapes.
5. Riesling Grapes:
This variety of grapes are used to make good Australian and German wine. However, this fruit can be grown in cold climates only and the soil that supports the very existence of this fruit is in Austria, Germany, and New York. This grape is the finest and most expensive and it is the best food wine that has ever been invented.
6. Moon Drop Grapes:
These grapes are crunchy ones such that, when chewed they snap and crack in your mouth. These grapes are sweet and they taste like grape jelly. This breed is usually cultivated in Central California between July to September. So if you prefer having a little crunch, then don’t forget to pick on some mood drop grapes.
7. Crimson Seedless Grapes:
This variety of grapes is so common among all those dishes you get to have. Almost all of those grapes you see in the markets are crimson seedless grapes. These grapes don’t get ripe soon and has a sweet pleasing flavour. Crimson seedless grapes appear to be brick red in colour or sometimes greenish. They are usually grown in California between August and November.
8. Pinot Noir:
Traditionally this grape has been used to make wine as it has been cultivated worldwide. This deep purple fruit tastes like ripe cherry and wild strawberries mixed in caramel. This has been widely used by every country to prepare wine but it is said to have originated in New Zealand, France and California.
Well, if you are of the assumption that grapes are used to make only wine, then you may be wrong because there are many countries out there who use grapes in their dishes and it has been relished as a delicacy over thousands of years. Here are some homemade healthy and tasty recipes that you can make using grapes.
1. Cheesy Grape Appetizer:
Here are some ingredients that you will require to make yourself a cheese grape appetizer.
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 cream softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons of whipping cream
- Quarter Kg of seedless red grapes; and
How to Prepare Cheesy Grape Appetizer:
Here how you make yourself a tasty cheesy and relishing dish of cheesy grape appetizer.
- Firstly, you need to heat the almonds in a frying pan until it turns golden brown.
- Then take another bowl and add the cheese and parsley in it.
- Once this is done, you need to take each grape and apply a mixture of cheese and top it up with some almonds. Then place it on a butter paper.
- Your tasty creamy grape appetizers are ready to be served. Well, serving it cold will help taste better.
2. Sangria Jelly Ring:
Sangria jelly ring is nothing but gelatin on the outside and different healthy berries on it’s inside.
Here is what you need to keep ready before preparing your tasty and nutrition-rich sangria jelly ring.
- 1 cup of boiling white grape juice
- 3 packs of lemon gelatin
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1 cup of finely sliced strawberries
- 1 cup of frozen raspberries; and
- Half cup of green grapes
How to Prepare Sangria Jelly Ring:
Here is how you prepare your healthy dish of sangria jelly ring .
- Firstly, you need to add the boiling wine to the gelatin and stir it for 2 minutes and allow it to completely dissolve.
- Once this is done, you will have to keep it in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Add the berries and the grapes once cold and pour it into a moulded glass.
- Then place in the refrigerator for 4 hours so that it cool.
- After this, you need to gently drop the mould onto a plate to remoulded the jelly and your sangria jelly ring is all be eaten.
Homemade Wine using Grape Juice:
You may wonder how do your grandparents ever make that perfect glass of wine taste so perfect. Well, you don’t have to think much as you can also get yourself and your family a tasty glass of rich healthy wine done. Preparing home-made wine can be very healthy as it can benefit you and your family from illness as you do know what you are using to get it done. It may be a hectic process, but doing it at home can help you do it the right and healthy way.
Before you yourself a glass of fresh wine, here are some of the ingredients that you would require.
- 3.8 litres of grape juice
- 14 grams of sugar
- 5-gram of package wine yeast
- 118 ml of lukewarm water
How to Prepare Homemade Wine using Grape Wine:
Now that you have all your ingredients ready, here is how you prepare homemade wine the traditional style. Once you get your grape juice ready, you will have to keep it at room temperature. The process of preparing homemade wine would take 10 days and are some simple steps that you need to keep in mind in order that you do it the right way.
Day 1: One the first day you will have to pour half grape juice into a 5-litre bottle and add 1 teaspoon of yeast. Once this is done, shake the bottle and keep it aside.
Day 2: On the second day, you will have to prepare the sugar syrup. But before you prepare the sugar syrup, you would have seen that the wine in the 5-litre bottle would have bubbled-up. Now you will have to mix more raw grape juice to the bubbled wine and tighten it. Once you tighten it, turn the bottle upside down. This process is called fermentation. During this process, fermentation produces high amounts of carbon dioxide. Now you need to prepare the sugar syrup and for that, you will have to do the following:
Preparing Sugar Syrup:
- Put 500 grams of sugar in a coke bottle and then pour boiled drinking water into the bottle.
- Shake the bottle until the sugar dissolves
- Your sugar syrup is ready
Day 4 & 5: On the third day you will have to mix all in order to ferment the wine. You will have to add the fermented grape juice to the sugar syrup and pour it in a 5-litre bottle. Again tighten the lid and turn the bottle upside down.
Day 10: On the tenth day, the wine must be almost ready and you need to check the wine bottle and see if the wine has bubbled and that is the first sign that your wine is almost ready. Logically, it would take a couple of weeks for the wine to be ready to be consumed.
Origin and Production:
The highest produced fruit in the world is grapes while banana, oranges and apples come next. Since time immemorial, grapes have been cultivated for various reasons as this fruit is said to have healing capabilities. There have been some findings that suggest that grapes have been cultivated before 6500 B.C that was during the Neolithic era. It was then introduced by King Hammurabi of Babylon who has brought out the world’s first liquor laws and trade of wine.
It was the Greeks and Phoenicians that practised and helped the grape culture grow significantly. The Romans increased its production and spread its culture throughout Europe. However, the grape culture witnessed a significant development and spread from the 16th to 20th century.
Currently, grapes are widely used for three important purposes such as for preparing wine, raisins and consumed fresh at the table. At present, the world produces 7.2 trillion gallons of wine every year. However, 80% of the total production of grapes worldwide is produced by France, Italy, Spain and Russia.
Fresh table grapes account to only 12% of the global production. This is because fresh table grapes have been bred in their country of origin as it cannot be transported from one country to another due to time constraints and perishability. In the United States alone, the average American is said to consume about 3 Kgs (8 pounds) of grapes annually.
Now that you have an idea into the health benefits of grapes and its everyday uses, here are some frequently asked questions that will help you have an insight into to the topic of grapes and risks if it is consumed in excess.
1. Which was the first civilization that made wine?
The very first civilization that began to brew grape wine was the Shulaveri-Shomu culture. This culture consisted of people during the stone age and their duties were to raise cattle, create tools and grow grapes. Thus, the oldest winery was found in some caves outside the Armenia village of Areni. (4100 B.C).
2. Which city is the biggest supplier of grapes in India?
Nasik is said to be the wine capital of India, It is the largest supplier of grapes in the country. Nasik has been protected under the patent rights and it consists of several vineyards that produce most of the grapes in the country. This region produces two different types of such as red and white wine.
3. Can Grapes be dangerous for you?
Excessive consumption of grapes can lead to inflammation, bloating and pressure in your digestive system. This is usually because grapes contain fructose and sorbitol-substance that are alcoholic in nature. So always keep in mind that you need to consume those grapes in moderation and not gulp them.
4. Red grapes or green grapes-which is healthy?
Red grapes are said to be more healthy than green grapes as the red ones have higher amounts of flavonoid content and are very rich in antioxidants that can save you many health risks of cancer. The power lies in the skin of the red grape. On the contrary, green grapes are also healthy, but the red ones are even more healthy, all because of the fact that its skin has medicinal properties that are more beneficial than green grapes.
5. Does eating grapes prevent cancer?
Yes, consuming both red as well as green grapes in your diet will prevent you from the risk of developing lung cancer and emphysema which is a longer-term lung disease. Well, grapes do benefit the alveoli in your lungs. Alveoli are tiny sacs in your lungs that are responsible for allowing oxygen and carbon dioxide to move between your lungs including your bloodstream.
Now that you know the capabilities of what grapes can do to your health, you need to add it to your everyday diet. Also, you need to keep in mind that this fruit needs to be consumed in moderation and not in excess. Excessive consumption of this fruit will lead to inflammation and diarrhoea. If you are suffering from a heart problem then you need to consume grapes as this will relax your blood vessels and regulate blood pressure levels.
News on Grapes:
Grapes Set on Fire Due To Microwave Radiation
-22nd February 2019
According to a new study by Canadian scientists, grapes that were kept in the microwave had caught fire and this was a new breakthrough. However, this was the case when a pair of skinless grapes were kept in a microwave and due to microwave radiation, the grapes were set on fire.
This trick was documented by researchers wherein two grape halves were placed in a microwave and after a few seconds, they began to set themselves on fire. The study concluded that the grape’s skin was not responsible for igniting them, but instead the weight and the shape of the dish on which it was kept on.