Keeping your body hydrated is one of the best ways to ensure good health. These days, most of the people are aware about the importance of drinking purified/ mineral water. But even though people take care of the purity of the water, they do not take care when it comes to water storage. Many people store water in plastic bottles in their refrigerators. This common practise can be very harmful for your health!
During ancient times, people used to store water in earthen pots. Soon, this was replaced by metal pots, which was then replaced by plastic bottles. Many people today think that the plastic bottles are the most convenient form of storage. However, did you know that plastic can affect the quality of water?
- How does the Plastic Affect the Quality of Water?
- Why Should You Use Copper Bottles?
- How to Properly Clean or Maintain Your Copper Bottle?
- Tips for Using a Copper Bottle to Store Water:
How does the Plastic Affect the Quality of Water?
The plastic used to make water bottles interacts with the water. This means that the water you drink comes into contact with harmful chemicals that are used to treat the plastic. The following are some of the reasons why plastic bottles are bad for your health:
Plastic Bottles Contain Bisphenol A or BPA:
- Bisphenol A is also known as BPA. It is the chemical that enables plastic to be see-through or transparent. When this chemical enters the water and consequently to your body, it can disrupt the way your endocrine system works. Due to this, you may suffer from the following problems:
- Premature labour if you are pregnant
- Low birth weight of infants
- Birth defects in babies if you use plastic bottles while pregnant
- Various forms of cancer
- Young girls may reach puberty and begin menstruating earlier than the average age for puberty
- Neurological problems may occur in some people due to prolonged use
Plastic Bottles Contain Phthalates:
Phthalates are chemical compounds which are used in the manufacturing of plastic bottles. Therefore, if you use such bottles, this chemical will interact with the water you drink. Like BPA, phthalates also affect the endocrine and reproductive system of your body. Prolonged use of phthalates can lead to any of the following problems:
- It can lead to lower sperm count
- It can cause abnormalities in the testicles
- It can cause gender development issues
- It has carcinogenic properties, which means it can lead to cancer
Now that you are aware of the harmful properties of water bottles made up of plastic, you are probably wondering how to store the water safely. The answer to this is that you should use copper bottles!
Why Should You Use Copper Bottles?
Copper bottles are better for your health when compared to plastic bottles. Even in Ayurvedic practices, copper vessel has been used to store water since ages. This is because copper is one of the essential minerals required by your body. On average, the human body needs 0.9 mg of copper per day. Thus, using storage vessels made up of this metal can help you gain its benefits when it interacts with your drinking water.
The following are some of the health benefits of using a copper bottle, Lota, or container to store your water:
Copper has a Positive Impact on Drinking Water:
Copper is a known natural sterilizer. It has an oligodynamic effect on the water. This means that copper kills bacteria and other microorganisms that are present in the water and gives you clean and healthy water to drink.
Copper Bottles Help You Get Your Recommended Daily Dose of Copper:
Using copper bottles can help your body get its recommended daily dose of copper. This can help your body by keeping the immune system strong. It boosts your immunity to a wide variety of infectious diseases. Copper also has the following positive effects on your body:
- It boosts your brain’s activity: Copper helps the body by synthesizing phospholipids, which are essential for the development of myelin sheaths. Myelin sheaths cover your nerve cells (neurons) and help to transmit messages. This can help your brain work in a faster and more efficient manner. Copper is also believed to have anticonvulsant properties which can helps to prevent seizures or epilepsy.
- It can help to prevent cancer: Copper has antioxidant properties that help fight off free-radicals in your body. This can be helpful to reduce the risk of cancer.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties: If you suffer from inflammation problems like arthritis, copper can help you gain some relief from the pain. Copper is also good for healing bones, which is an additional reason why arthritis patients can benefit from it.
- It can help you lose weight: Copper has the ability to make your body break fat faster and remove it from your system. In this way, it can help you with weight loss. Copper also helps by making your digestive system more efficient.
Some of the most popular copper bottle brands are:
- Medlife Copper Water Bottle
- ASK Plain Copper Water Bottle
- Dr Copper Water Bottle
- Innovative Ayurvedic Copper Water Bottle
How to Properly Clean or Maintain Your Copper Bottle?
Copper is a metal, which means that it is prone to some amount of oxidation. Therefore, it needs to be cleaned regularly in a way that prevents oxidation. You can rub a mixture that is made of salt and fresh lemon juice or tamarind paste. You can also use a mixture that is made of baking soda, salt and vinegar to clean your copper bottles. This will help to remove the Patina (a thin green layer formed on the surface of copper metal) and grime from the bottle. Remember to store the water for a minimum of 8 hours to properly enjoy the health benefits of copper!
Tips for Using a Copper Bottle to Store Water:
Simply knowing the benefits of storing water in copper bottles in not enough. You must follow the best-practises to use copper bottles correctly, otherwise you may not get all the health benefits. The following are a few tips to keep in mind when using them:
- Ensure that you use a good quality copper bottle that is manufactured by a reputed company. This will guarantee that no chemicals are used to manufacture or treat the bottle in any way.
- When you buy a new copper bottle, rinse it with an acidic mixture, such as the ones mentioned earlier.
- Let water rest in the bottle at room temperature to allow it to ionize completely. A simple way to do this is to keep the bottle by your bedside at night, and then drink the water in the morning.
- Use copper bottles for three months, and then take a break for one month. This is to prevent excess copper from being consumed by your body. Too much of anything can be harmful, and this is true for copper too! During your one-month break, you may switch to glass bottles. Glass is an inert object and will not interact with water in a negative way. Do not use plastic bottles!
Copper is an essential mineral that offers many health benefits to your body. In Ayurvedic terms, copper bottles can help to balance your three doshas. By drinking ‘Tamra Jal’ (water stored in copper vessel/bottle) empty stomach in the morning will help you to maintain a good health.
At Medlife Shop, we offer an extensive range of health care products. These products include copper bottles, essential herbal supplements and organic products that are chemical-free. If you want to stay fit and healthy lifelong, consider incorporating such Ayurvedic products in your daily routine. Keep following our blog for information about such products to stay up to date!