Triphala is an Ayurvedic medicine that has many uses. The word Triphala is a Sanskrit word, which translates to ‘three fruits’. This name is apt as Triphala is a blend of three Ayurvedic fruits – Amla, Haritaki, and Bibhitaki.This herb offers many nutritional benefits, which include vitamins, carbohydrates, sodium, gallic acid, dietary fibres, minerals, chebulinic acid, chebugalic acid and many others. Triphala is available in the following forms:
- Triphala powder
- Triphala tablets
- Triphala liquid supplements
Due to its nutritional composition, Triphala offers a wide variety of health benefits. In this article, we will explore the benefits of Triphala for your eye vision care.
One of the ingredients present in Triphala is Haritaki. Haritaki has associated with many different health benefits and one of them is that it has anti-ageing properties. Due to these properties, Triphala can be used to different age related vision problems. These include:
- Age related macular degeneration
- Senile cataract
- Open angle glaucoma
- Retinal degeneration
If you are experiencing problems with your eyesight that occur due to your age, Triphala can help you treat them.
1. Strengthening Your Eye Muscles:
Triphala strengthens the eye muscles which in turn improves the eyesight. The reason why this ayurvedic treatment is beneficial for eyesight is that it contains Amalaki or Amla. In Ayurvedic terms, Amla is said to enhance the Alochaka Pitta, which governs the eyesight. Ayurveda acknowledges Amla as the ‘rasayana for strengthening the eyes’. Adding Triphala to your daily diet can help you strengthen your eye muscles and can benefit you accordingly.
2. Reducing Damage Due To Oxidative Stress:
Triphala is a rich source of Vitamin C. It also has the properties of an anti-oxidant, which means that it fights free radicals in your body that occur during oxidation. Triphala can help you reduce any damage caused in the eyes due to oxidative stress. It can also help you take care of minor problems such as the following:
- Strain in the eyes
3. Boosting Overall Immunity:
Triphala has high amounts of Vitamin C. It also contains high amounts of bioflavonoids. Both of these help with boosting your overall immunity and speeding up the healing process. As a result, any eye related condition that you may be suffering from is cured faster when you take Triphala. The immune-boosting properties of this herb can also help you prevent your eyes from developing any fungus borne diseases. Of course, you must also maintain hygiene and keep your hands clean to protect your eyes at the same time!
How to use Triphala for Eye Care:
You can make a simple Triphala eyewash at home in order to strengthen your eyes and improve their health. In order to do so, you must:
- Take a teaspoon of organic Triphala powder.
- Mix it with hot, boiling water. The heat will help the powder dissolve and will activate the compounds in Triphala.
- Allow the mixture to cool until it is comfortable to touch.
- Strain the mixture through a fine cloth. This will help you remove any particles that might hurt your eyes.
- Take clean cloth or towel and dip it in the mixture.
- Lie down and place the wet towel over your eyes.
- Keep blinking so that your eyes can touch to the Triphala Eyewash.
- Do this for at least 5 minutes.
- Avoid any strain to your eyes after using the eyewash. The best time to do this is right before you sleep so that your eyes receive ample rest and relaxation.
It is important to note that you might feel a slight stinging sensation in your eyes when you use a Triphala eyewash for the first time. This is completely natural, and you should not panic if this happens. However, if you experience any unbearable pain, stinging, or itchiness while using it, you should stop immediately. The eyes are a very sensitive part of the body and if something does not suit them, you should not continue. You can speak to your doctor before starting to use Triphala for your eyes, just to be on the safe side.
Another way to use Triphala to improve your eyesight is to fill the mixture mentioned above in an eyecup. You can then use the eyecup to bathe one eye at a time. Make sure you keep your eyes open while using an eyecup, otherwise you will not be able to get the benefits.
Some of the commonly available Triphala supplements are:
- Himalaya Wellness Triphala Syrup
- Himalaya Wellness Pure Herbs Triphala
- Dabur Triphala Tablet
- Dabur Triphala Churna Powder
- Jiva Triphala Tablet
- Organic India Triphala Powder
- Organic Tattva Triphala Powder
Additional Points about Triphala:
If you have never used Triphala before, the following are a few points that you can keep in mind before you start:
- If you are taking Triphala orally, please note that you should take it on an empty stomach. However, you can confirm this with your doctor if you feel the need to.
- If you do not like the taste of Triphala, that is okay! You can mix Triphala powder in your morning tea to avoid tasting it directly.
- If you are taking Triphala tablets, you can have them twice daily, before your meals.
- Triphala is also available in the form of liquid supplements. To take them, you can add 30 drops in your water or juice. You can have this solution 1-3 times in a day.
A Word of Caution about Triphala:
If you are pregnant, you should speak to your doctor before adding Triphala to your daily diet. Women who are nursing their children should also avoid taking Triphala. If you are taking any blood thinning medication, then you should avoid this herb. The best way to be safe is to speak to doctor once before adding anything new to your daily diet. You can purchase Triphala to improve your vision on MedLife. Our vast catalogue contains a range of herbal and Ayurvedic brands that offer Triphala. Order it today and improve your eyesight!